TWO

[𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐃𝐀𝐘 — 𝐎𝐂𝐓𝐎𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟓, 𝟐𝟎𝟎𝟓]

NARCISSA FALLS TO HER KNEES at the sound of Cassiopeia's voice.

Blue eyes appear to be lighter just like crystals shining in clear water as tears start to stream down Narcissa's rosy cheeks.

With Poppy still clinging onto Cassie's leg, the blonde walks towards the woman she has considered her mother for her whole life. Gently tapping on Poppy's shoulder, silently asking the elf to back away, she inhales.

Cassie sinks down onto her knees as well, levelling her eyes to Cissy's glossy ones.

Cassie doesn't have time to even blink the burning feeling in her eyes that her mother wraps her arms around her shoulders, colliding their bodies into a longing embrace.

That's the moment Cassie shatters. At the feeling of the familiar and comforting touch of Cissy, she lets the tear that has been waiting to fall escape her eye. She hasn't cried in years, yet the tears can't seem to stop now.

Narcissa's hands are on her back, her fingers digging into her clothed skin as they tremble in unison. Cassie's embrace tightens around her mother's shoulders, her eyes tightly shut close as hot tears cascade down her cheekbones.

It takes a few minutes before Narcissa pulls away, immediately cradling the blonde's damp face into her soft hands, "Are you here for real?" She asks in a whisper.

Cassie can only manage to nod. Through her blurry vision, she can perceive her mother's lower lip tremble as another quiet sob flies past her mouth.

"I'm sorry." Cassie's voice breaks. She places her hands atop Cissy's, her fingers instantly applying pressure around the trembling ones beneath hers. "I'm so sorry, Mum."

Inhaling a long intake of air, Cassie's breathing stays shaky. With the help of the back of her hands, she wipes the tears away from her face. Cissy's thumbs caress her cheekbones whilst her eyes flicker over her daughter's face — she can't believe she's here. After all this time.

"I'm sorry," Cassie repeats yet again in a soft murmur.

Her mother shakes her head before pulling the young woman into another hug. One hand finds her silky blonde hair, caressing gently the back of her head whilst the other rubs her upper back. "Let me hold you for a second."

Being in her mother's arms was all she needed to feel alive again. And that's when she realises she's made the biggest mistake of her life — she should have come home a while ago.

"What happened to you my sweet girl?" Narcissa presses a delicate kiss on top of the blonde's head.

Blue meets blue and Cassie can feel her heart feeling heavy inside her chest. She shakes her head, water pooling in her eyes. She can feel her throat constricting, the oxygen in her lungs becoming limited as her breaths start to get ragged.

The question has triggered something in the back of her mind, and now, hundreds of memories run through her mind, but she doesn't know how to focus. How to breathe.

They'll never forgive me. They'll never forgive me. They'll never forgive me for becoming the person I am today.

She lets go of Cissy's hands, clutching her fingers to the fabric of her cardigan, all of the sudden feeling like she truly cannot breathe.

Her eyes flicker all over the room, not searching for anything or anyone in particular as evident fear strikes across her features. "I don't— I can't—"