THREE

[𝐀𝐔𝐆𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝟏𝟎, 𝟏𝟗𝟗𝟔]

"THE BOY IS TOO AFRAID. He needs someone by his side. Someone who will make sure he performs both his tasks as asked. Someone who will make sure he doesn't fail."

The sound of the rain splattering against the window gets louder when silence reigns in the cold room. The flames of the burning fire in the chimney corner casts an orange light upon Narcissa's pale face, illuminating her concerned features.

The woman twirls a cup filled with jasmine tea in between her hands, her heart beating uncontrollably inside her chest as her stomach churns with anxiousness. The steam of the hot beverage fades away in the air, trailing delicate hints of flowers and blossomed freshness in its wake.

She looks up at Severus who stands by the large bookshelf next to the window, his hands locked behind his back, his face hard and his eyes unreadable.

Narcissa's voice shakes as she offers a small smile, "I know what you're thinking, and I refuse. Cassie shouldn't get involved."

Snape's eyes soften for a fragment of a second before they become masked once again, "The Dark Lord's mind is set. I cannot change it."

Narcissa sighs, her hands trembling with rage and sadness and vexation. "Look after them, Severus. That is all I'm asking you."

The man's shoulders slump with defeat. His eyes flicker between hers as he breathes deeply.

"Please," Narcissa continues in a soft whisper. "He's just a boy. And she's just a girl."

He dips his chin in a slight nod, "It might be possible for me to help Draco and Cassiopeia."

Narcissa doesn't waste a second to stand to her feet, her blue eyes gleaming with hope as a smile tugs at the corners of her red lips. "Severus—"

"Swear to it." Bellatrix speaks from behind her sister, her voice overbearing and cold.

A beat passes. The flames grow bigger whilst the rain crashes ruthlessly against the tainted window.

Both Narcissa and Severus turn to the curly-haired witch, sceptic looks in their eyes.

"Make the Unbreakable Vow," Bellatrix seethes in a stern whisper whilst her eyes bore into Snape's. "It's just empty words."

She walks slowly around the pair, her judgmental eyes scanning his face. Narcissa only observes her sister, her heart pounding against her thoracic cage as her hands grip tightly the warm mug.

"Coward," Bellatrix sings when Severus doesn't say anything. Something flickers in his dark eyes for a quick second.

Without taking his eyes off of Cissy's face, he drawls in a deep voice, "Take out your wand."

Narcissa and Bellatrix exchange a look filled with relief and triumph and consolation.

Her children will be protected.

__________

Theodore stands by Draco's side in the cold and dimly lit Ball Room of Malfoy Manor.

Hands locked behind his back, his chin is held high and his jaw clenched as he breathes to steady his thundering heartbeat.

He observes Cassie — his Cassia being tugged towards the center of the room, utter confusion drawn on her face. She wriggles out of Yaxley's grasp, her brows knitted together.

"Don't touch me, you scumbag," she spits at him, rubbing the skin of her wrist whilst shooting daggers with her blue eyes to the man.