Rule 6

6. In a critic situation, I always have to follow Connor's words.

But which one is Connor?

Zachary's P.O.V.

I take a few steps back. The first Connor also backs away from the door, as the second Connor stays in the doorway and tries to catch his breath.

He then laughs.

"Harold...out." he says breathlessly.

The first Connor looks at me, then to the knife I've pointed at the second one. He then looks back at me, and slightly points to the second Connor with his head.

My eyes widen.

'Do it.' he mouths.

But instead, I point the knife at him.

"Zach." The second Connor straightens up and looks at me. But he doesn't continue the sentence.

"Give me. A sign."

"What?" The first Connor says and the second one frowns in confusion.

"This is fucked up." My voice and hand is shaking from fear, but somehow I have to hold back my laughs. "Really fucked up. Both of you don't do anything other than giving me a fucking sign!"

The first Connor turns at me and raises his hands slightly, showing me his palms.
"Zach, it's okay. It's me, just look at me and not him."

"Wow." Is the only thing the second one says. I look at him, but he's not looking at me, he's looking at the first Connor. "Your talking has really improved since we were gone, Harold."

Now that's the sarcasm I recognize.

I stab the knife to the first Connor's leg, and he lets out an inhumane screech that makes me jump back.

İmmediately after Connor steps between us and literally throws his doppelganger out of the door and locks it.

We both stand there, silently. "İt" scratches on the door for a while.
"Please, I just wanted to hang out with you two!"

A short silence.

And we hear the sound of it's steps fading into the forest.

I didn't even realize my grip had loosened until the knife fell of my hand and made us both jump.

Connor turns at me. I wait for him to shout.

Looks like he's still gathering his strength, so I go and sit down and wait for his tantrum like that instead.

He still doesn't.
"Aren't you gonna shout at me?"
"What?" He asks mumbly.

Had he zoned out just now?
"I broke a rule. Aren't you going to yell?"

"Actually," he walks towards me and sits to the chair beside. "You broke two rules."

Actually four, you don't know about the notebook or the gun, I say to him in my mind.

"Well, it would be a lie if I'll say I wasn't expecting you to yell at me."
I lay back.
"Why would I yell at you?" I ask, already guessing why.

Connor just smiles and shrugs.
"Also, my knee is bleeding. Can you get the aid kit?"
"Shit!"

.
.
.

So...Harold, huh?

As I'm cleaning his wound, I keep repeating the question in my head, preparing myself to ask it.

"Fuck!" Connor pulls his leg away.
"A child would've bared this better."
"A child wouldn't have survived this."
"You mean the wound or your playdate with Harold?"

I look at him hesitantly. Okay, he doesn't look mad.
"Is that his name?" I keep going. "Harold?"

My best friend nods.
"Should I call him Harold too?" I check if I'm pushing my luck with asking.
"Probably, yeah."
"Would one more question be too much?"

He glares at me, as if he's trying to say 'I'm already answering your questions so why don't just ask you dumbass'.

"When did you decide it-he was Harold?"
Connor looks tired. And somehow hurt.
"That's his birthname."

...what?

We stay in silence for a while.
"He has improved." Connor continues. I'm looking at some random corner, lost in thought, but I nod.
"He's getting better at imitating people. "

His birthname? What can that mean?

"I'm just glad you recognized me, Zach."
I turn my eyes at him.
"Yeah. I would be sad if I stabbed the wrong Connor."

He smiles. We lock eyes for a while. I hope he would continue to explain.

But instead he closes the gap between us, stops for a moment, whispers 'Thank you', then gives me a kiss on the cheek.

He leaves me on the sofa, as I'm surprised in multiple ways.
"I'm going to bed. Let's wake up early tomorrow and go for a walk... Then get drunk."

Hey everybody sorry for the short chapter 🧍🏻‍♀️

So, to repay for it, here is a smol spoiler for the next chap: 🦋🦋🦋🏳️‍🌈

U can support the book with commenting your three fav emojis→
it would be really kind <3 ^^

Ok bye till next time :3

A