Chapter 5

Dena casually scans the network on her TDA's touchscreen and selects a folder. As the content loads, Dena gets up and opens the stateroom door, but doesn't see anything interesting in the hall. She leaves the door open and pulls her hair back into a ponytail in front of a nearby vanity mirror. Dena wipes her cheeks, and catches a glimpse of an unfamiliar reflection as it shoots past the mirror. Dena spins around and says, "Hello?"

Dena reaches for her belt and loads a full cartridge of formunition in her AC and pursues the intruder. She hears faint footsteps running south and she cautiously peeks before entering the hallway. With sweat forming at her brow, she thrusts her AC in front of her with a slight tremble. She moves carefully along the hallway, clears her throat and demands, "Who's there?"

Dena hears distant laughter from pedestrians, but nothing in her vicinity. She takes a few more steps down the dimly lit hallway, before flicking on her flashlight. Dena hears a clang and sees a phage swiftly running towards a dead end.

"Stop," Dena commands, "Identify yourself at once."

With his hands up, a peculiar-looking phage slowly walks from behind the ship's shutter and shouts, "Don't shoot, I am Officer Riti."

"Officer? What are you doing on the lobby level without clearance or a proper escort?" Dena asks with her arm cannon pointing at his chest.

The officer blinks uncontrollably, triggering Dena's suspicion. He stares at her aimed AC and stutters, "I-I got lost circulating with, uh, the barter escorts through that last Nicil bomb evacuation."

"Interesting," Dena says, seeing through his lie. "Because there's no access to the lobby level from the bartering facilities." Dena slams the officer against the wall. "Don't lie to me! Now are you following me because of Locy?"

"Who? No."

Dena shoves her rifle into his neck and asks, "Why are you snooping around?"

"Alright, alright. I'm a stowaway, okay? I'm just a runaway from the Ship Amyn from Division 11."

Dena flips Riti over her shoulder and onto the ground, "Are you done lying? Because you are only making me angrier."

Dena kneels on Riti's neck and watches as he squirms for air. "I'm not lying. I'm telling you the truth."

Dena slowly releases her pressing weight and asks, "How did you make it here from Division 11?"

Riti holds his tender neck and says, "I'll show you." He stands and removes an image card from his TDA. Suddenly, Dena watches the Arvelee birthmark shift into the Amyn's. Dena snatches the card from his hand and points her AC at his head. "Where did you get this?"

Riti swallows. "From the Cove of the Amyn."

"Cove? What is that?"

"It's just a code word everyone's been using for the black market. It's a secret store that sells things from the Beverod that you can't find from the ship's pharmacy."

Dena pushes his back against the wall and asks, "If all of this is true, why did you run and then lie to me?"

Riti shrugs. "I've been on ships where soldiers fire first and ask questions later."

Dena hears chatter from distant soldiers and pulls him down the hallway. "Don't say another word." She pushes him into the stateroom and closes the door behind them.

Nulo is catapulted through a doorway and lands inside an interrogation room. Ghii follows, dragging Nulo by his tender ankle to the only seat in the room. He cries out as Ghii slams him into the isolated seat. "All this isn't necessary. The arena is safe and no one got hurt."