Dark 05

The whole evening had made Yuriko sigh. She wished for nothing more than to leave home early, yet she knew that there would be yet another project working session after the lunch break, and Ruki's eyes didn't leave her for a moment even when they sat in the classroom. Yuriko could feel how his gaze bored into her back.

When the lunch break was about to start Yuriko grew restless. Since Ruki had laid his eyes on her there hadn't been a single break she could have spent alone. While Ruki allowed her to eat he wouldn't let her go out of sight unless Yuriko went to the bathroom but there was a limit on how many times she could go there during the night or how many minutes to spend there before it started to seem suspicious.

This time the teacher called Ruki in front of the class and sent him away for some business before the class ended. Yuriko almost sighed in relief when Ruki walked out of the room. This was her chance to get a small breather during the night.

Unfortunately, just when Yuriko was about to sneak out with the other students the teacher called her too. He pointed out a large pile of files.

"Tsukino-san, these need to be taken to the storage room," he told her. "I'm sure you can take care of it before you have your lunch."

Yuriko nodded. She collected the pile and wobbled out of the classroom without really seeing the hallway behind all the files. Wanting to hurry back for having her lunch of peace, Yuriko hastened her steps and turned from the corner. And that very moment she stumbled into something... or more like someone. She stopped but it was too late, and the files went flying to the floor at the same time as burning covered Yuriko's cheeks.

The other girl squealed, falling to the floor. She covered her head with a terrified expression on her face, mumbling something in a language Yuriko didn't recognize.

"Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry! Did... did I hurt you? I didn't mean to...!" Yuriko cried out.

The other girl raised her head and looked at Yuriko. Her eyes had a light shade of blue and green with little sparks on them, and while she was tiny, she had amazingly long dark hair. Yuriko realized that she had seen this girl in the hallways a few times before. The girl who reminded her of a princess from a fairytale: Snow White.

"Ah... No, no, don't apologize...! It's my fault, too."

"No, no... It's all my fault," Yuriko said. "I should have looked where I was going..."

Snow White got up from the floor and started picking up the fallen files. Luckily not any of them had opened. Yuriko hurried to help her, and together they gathered all the files in no time at all.

"Such a big stack of files..." Snow White said. "Where are you going? I'll help you carry it."

Yuriko explained the situation. "But I... I don't want to bother you... Though it could be a big help... Are you sure you want to help me out? Aren't you busy with something else?"

"It's okay, I'll help you," Snow White replied. "It's lunchtime, so it'll be a big break. I'm not in a hurry to go anywhere. Let's go?"

The girls shared the pile in two, each of them taking one and starting to carry it towards the storeroom at the end of the hallway. Yuriko noticed that the other girl kept glancing at her with a curious look. So, she couldn't help but wonder if she had done the right thing. Maybe she shouldn't have bothered Snow White. Yuriko knew that the girl was her junior, and that meant that she might have felt like she didn't have another choice but help Yuriko out.

"Umh... I'm Tsukino Yuriko, by the way," Yuriko said when they arrived at the storeroom.

"Oh... I'm Elizabeth Virnien," Snow White... no, Elizabeth replied.