Dark 10

"Good grief, what a useless daughter you are! Such disgrace!"

Yuriko lowered her head. No matter what she said nothing got through to her father. Keisuke just didn't listen to her. While he had every right to blame Ruki for taking her away, Yuriko found it difficult to stand the accusations.

"I... we... Nothing happened. He only took care of me while I was sick."

It wasn't the truth, not truly. Heat covered Yuriko's face when she remembered what had happened during her stay at the Mukamis. The bath... and the night of the full moon. She had no idea... It had never occurred to her that the moon would have such an effect on vampires.

"After seeing your neck, do you really expect me to believe you? It wouldn't be a wonder if he had you knocked up already!"

"But Dad!"

Ruki hasn't even kissed me! Though he did... Better not talk about that...

Yuriko shouldn't have even thought about such things, yet she couldn't stop it. Repeatedly the events from the last couple of days played in her mind. The way Ruki had... touched her... The promise she had made to him.

"You have dirtied yourself and shamed me! You are no use to me if you have given yourself to a monster."

"Ruki isn't—"

"He is."

"Then me..."

"A daughter of a monster. I wanted to give you a better life, but it seems you don't deserve it."

Yuriko stared at Keisuke, gasping. Somehow, she had thought that things would be different when she got back home... but the hate that lingered in the air was stronger than ever.

"I'll go to the grocery store..." Yuriko mumbled and turned around.

"You aren't going anywhere!"

"Yes, I am!"

"Get back here right this instant!"

But Yuriko didn't. She tugged her feet into the shoes and dashed out of the door. The conversation she had with Ruki earlier kept playing in her head.

"That man is not worth your attention," Ruki said, his voice being as emotionless as ever. The gaze in the steel-blue eyes didn't give out any information either. It was like negotiating with an iceberg. "I cannot trust him to take care of you."

"Umh... I have been taking care of myself for quite a while now. I can still do it... and it's not like I can just run away from home. It's disrespectful. I know how much that kind of action can hurt someone."

Ruki was quiet for a moment. Something changed behind those icy eyes as if Yuriko had succeeded to pierce through.

"If I may continue... umh... I appreciate everything you have done..." Well, maybe not everything but the things you did to help me... "And I want to pay you back somehow, but Dad... he is blood-related family and I have obligations... and I want to believe that he... cares about me. He is just... bad at showing it..."

Cold fingers reached for Yuriko's arm, pulling her closer to Ruki. Digits of another hand pushed her hair aside as he leaned in, whispering directly into her ear.

"Do not forget who your master is," Ruki said. "You belong to me and only to me. I will not hand you to anyone else, not even to your father. You may go back home today, and you will discuss with him this matter. I am a patient master, but I will not wait forever for you to realize what is in your best interest, especially now that I know what you are..."