Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The elf and the dragon

The friendly dragon.

~~~

I reached out to touch the dragon but it backed away. Was it scared of me? I went closer and it kept backing away. I stopped walking towards it and just stared at it.

"I won't hurt you." I said. The dragon just looked at me. I held my hand out again, hoping it would trust me.

I was actually more worried he would set me on fire. I turned my head away and closed my eyes.

After a moment, I felt its head touching my hand. I slowly opened my eyes and looked at it. It looked somewhat sad.

Which made me confused. It laid on the gold and closed its eyes. I think it fell asleep. I quietly left the cave and went back to Balin's house.

I took my time walking back. I couldn't stop thinking about the dragon being nice to me. He was... friendly. I found it oddly weird. Dragons are supposed to be dangerous but he wasn't. I got back tk the house and went to bed.

***

The next morning I decided to watch the dragon whole day. I took my bag, put a book and pencil in it. I left the house to go back to the dragon but Balin stopped me.

"Where are you going?" He asked.

"To the waterfall." I said.

"That is far away. Are you sure you will be alright alone?" He asked.

I nodded my head and left. I didnt want to tell him the truth cause I thought he would go after the dragon.

Lost in thought, I didnt even realise I was already at the waterfall. I went into the cave and it was a bit darker than usual.

I got to the end and the dragon wasn't here. I went back out and looked around. I looked up at the sky and saw nothing.

"Great. Looking for a big dragon black dragon but can't seem to find it." I said to myself.

Before I left I heard a loud roar. I turned back but nothing. I looked up to the sky and saw it. It flew towards me. I mlved out of the way and it stood in front of me.

I held my hand out and it let me pet him. Or I think its a him. He gave me a smile or grin. Its hard to tell. The dragon walked into the forest and I followed him.

I had my book and pencil in my hand as I followed him. He kept walking and I had to run after him. He stopped at a dam and drank some water.

I quickly climbed a tree and started taking note. On a different page, I started drawing the dragon. He looked at me and continued walking. I climbed down and ran after him.

He stopped again at an apple tree. I sat on a rock and watched. It picked the apples off with its claws. I wrote that down in my book.

"Why do you eat like that? Don't you eat meat like a normal dragon should?" I asked. He looked at me and continued walking. Again. "Hey! Wait up!"

He went to a farm and there was sheep there. It breathed out fire and killed some of the sheep. Again, it picked its meal up with its claws.

"Don't dragons eat meat raw?" I questioned. It looked at me like I was crazy. Talking to a dragon.

He turned around and walked back towards the waterfall. I followed behind him but I had to watch out for his tail.

Once we got back to the waterfall he went into his cave. He laid on hus pile of gold and stared at me.

"I'll be back tomorrow." I said and went back home.

When I got back, Balin was waiting for me at the front door. I walked up to him and had a smile on my face.

"Where have you been all day?" He asked. I couldn't tell him about the dragon.

"After going to the waterfall, I went into town and hung out with my friend Erin." I said.

It looks like he believed me and I went inside the house. I went to my room and went back to my drawing in my book. It was half a sketch of the dragon.

I needed more information about this dragon. He seemed different than what our elven history books say. I blew out the candle and went to bed.

I was peacefully sleeping when someone woke me up. I opened my eyes to see Balin. I yawned and sat up.

"Balin. Don't you know its rude to wake people up in the middle of the night?" I asked.

I looked around and saw two men dressed in the king guard uniform. Wait. They were the kings guards.

"Anya. Get dressed then meet us outside." Balin said and they left.

I got out of bed and got dressed. I went outside and they were indeed waiting for me.

"Did I do something?" I asked.

The guards looked serious and Balin looked disappointed. I stared at them and waited for an answer.

"They are here to ask you some questions." Balin said. I looked at the guards and Balin stood next to me.

"We have news that a animal has been killing sheep on the nearby farm. Farmer John saw you run into the forest after the attack. Do you perhaps know who or what did it?" One of them asked.

I shook a no and tried my best to not tell the truth. If I told them thaf there is a dragon near the town, they will want to kill him.

"Well. If you ever see something wierd, tells us." They said and walked away. I turned to Balin and he looked a bit mad.

"You lied to me." He said.

"Ok. I didn't go to town. There was this animal. I followed it bht I lost track of it and ran onto the farm." I said.

Balin sighed and went inside. I had to warn the dragon and find a way to get him away from here.