Never Enough

"Hey, G?"

The soulmates were on their last life. Red names. One last shot. And so they both had subconsciously agreed that they didn't have much time left.

When Grian heard his soulmate speak, he continued on what he was doing, genuinely believing that Scar was about to ask another dumb question that he could've answered on his own if he took a second to think.

"Mm?"

The taller man took a deep breath and glanced at the opposite player, "We're... red now. So can- can you just admit to me one thing before we go? I need to hear that's its true before we're gone for good.."

Grian stopped what he was doing immediately. It took all of his integrity to tilt his head up to meet his brown eyes with Scar's green ones. He felt like he knew exactly what he was going to say.

He furrowed his eyebrows a little, but he didn't look angry. He just looked... sad. "You.. never wanted to be my soulmate, did you?"

Although the winged man expected that, it still wasn't easy to take. Especially since it wasn't false.

But despite it being true, he couldn't say that out loud. It was hard enough to admit that he would've rather done this with someone else, but it was harder seeing Scar so hurt because of what he'd done. It felt like one million tiny stabs to his heart.

As a little water formed in his eyes, he looked away from the brown haired man and took a shaky breath, "I'm so sorry, Scar..."

Knowing it was true didn't really effect the taller soulmate. He had enough evidence to prove his fate, this was just the clarification.

The silence was loud, with only the soft sounds of the approaching dusk being their somber symphony. But after a moment, Scar spoke softly, glancing down at his end of the red string that bounded the two, "You know why I never got a secret soulmate?"

Grian didn't do or say anything. He couldn't. He felt like his last life should just be taken right there.

"Because I had you. And I- I thought you were enough..."

He finally looked at his soulmate, seeing his blushed face and watery eyes that were centimeters away from sprouting tears onto his blood stained cheeks.

"...But then you weren't." His eyes closed as he recalled the feeling he knew all too well, "..So I figured that everyone else must feel that same way about me..."