6. Uncle Sarzo

"Okay, I think that's everything on my list," Chris said while checking her grocery cart.

"Finally! We've been here for an hour. Can we please go back to your place? You promised me a chill day!" Street whined.

"You can have your baking show marathon while I read a book, okay?" She felt like she was trying to appease a child and quickly brushed her lips against his.

"Fine," he sighed and pulled them by their joined hands towards the cash registers.

All of a sudden, she quickly pulled them into an aisle and searched around worriedly.

"Babe, what's going on?" Street asked.

She shushed him and continued to scan the store. He raised a questioning eyebrow at her.

"Hondo is here," she said quietly.

"Okay?" He asked.

"We almost got caught by HONDO!"

"So what are we gonna do?"

"You leave the store, and I'll stay to check out," she directed.

"Seriously? You want me to sneak out?" He asked.

"Do you have a better idea?"

"We go and check out together just not holding hands," he suggested.

"Don't you think he'll ask what we're doing together?"

"Chris, we're best friends. We hang out all the time. Nothing suspicious about that."

"Fine, but...stop looking at me like that," she said nervously.

"Like what?" He flashed her an intense look that made her heart pick up speed.

"Please!" She pleaded while looking around the store. Thankfully, no one seemed to be paying attention to them.

"Hey, guys," Hondo greeted. He neared the couple with a small wave.

"Hey, boss," Street replied.

"Hi," Chris said, adjusting her sweatshirt and only now realizing it was one of Street's.

"Looks like we have the same idea to get some chores done on our day off," Hondo remarked.

"Yeah, I just needed to get a few things," Chris replied evenly.

"And I came along to keep her company, since we're friends," Street added.

"Right, well, I should head out. Wanna check in on my Pops, but I'll see you guys on Monday," Hondo responded with a wave and walked away.

"See you on Monday," Chris returned the wave and gripped the handle of her cart tightly.

"Nailed it," Street whispered.

She nudged him in the ribs and hissed, "You actually said 'since we're friends'?"

"What did you want me to say?"

"I don't know. Something not so obvious." She wished the exchange with their boss had gone better, but she redirected her focus to finally paying for her groceries and getting back to her apartment.

"I thought I handled myself pretty well," Street replied, seemingly clueless about his awkward performance.

Chris rolled her eyes and was thankful the conversation with Hondo was over.

———————————————-

After successfully unloading the groceries, Street moved quickly to the couch and turned on the TV to start his baking show marathon. Chris still didn't understand his obsession, but she picked up her book and settled onto the couch. She rested her head on his lap to read while he remained engulfed in the TV. Maybe they should have done something more productive, but she felt they both needed to unwind.