Chapter 16: Paying a Social Call

You and Arthur arrive back at camp. You dismount and hitch your horses.

Arthur: I'll see you later.

You: Sure.

You both walk off to do your own thing. You walk to the edge of the camp to see Sadie looking out on the cliff. You walk up.

You: Mind if I join you?

She shrugs.

Sadie: Free country.

You chuckle as you sit on a rock.

You: For the most part.

Sadie: ...This is my favorite part of the camp. The view... it makes me feel like the world ain't fallin' into a million pieces.

You: It ain't. You just feel like you are.

Sadie: I guess. I don't like thinkin' about it, but it's all I can do. It's all I'm focused on. I can't just...move on. I'm not good at it, Mr. L/N. I don't know if I will be. No...I don't know if I can be.

You: No one should've gone through what you have, Mrs. Adler. And I know that this won't make you feel better, and I know that this won't bring your husband back, but...time goes on. I ride into that town...and all I can think about is how maybe no one in any of those buildings or in the street can understand what people like you and me have been through. I mean...if we told each and every one of those people individually the loss that we've experienced within the last MONTH...I'm afraid not one of them would give a damn.

Sadie: ...You're right...

You sigh.

You: Sorry.

Sadie: Don't. You've helped me realize that staying here is the right choice. And I believe it is.

You smile.

Sadie: But...I gotta ask you one question.

You: Shoot.

Sadie: ...Why do you wear the mask?

You laugh.

Sadie: I mean, you eat, drink, and sleep with that thing on. What's the point?

You: It's complicated.

Sadie: It's fine. You can tell me if you'd like.

You take a deep breath.

You: You don't need to worry about it. It's nothing personal, I promise.

Sadie: You don't owe me an explanation. If it's personal, I'll leave it be.

You: Thank you.

Sadie: 'Course.

You: So...any plans on heading into town?

Sadie: Not at all, there's too much mud.

You: You should've seen Arthur a few days ago. Did you hear about the bar fight?

Sadie: Word travels fast around this camp.

You: No doubt about that, hence the mask.

Sadie: So you just don't want people seein' your face?

You: I thought you said you'd drop this.

She laughs.

Sadie: You self conscious or somethin'?

You: Maybe!

You both share a laugh.

Arthur: What you two kids talkin' about?

You look behind you to see Arthur walk up.

Sadie: Just that damn bandana he's wearin'.

Arthur chuckles.