Chapter 13

It was D-day, the day when board exams begin. It was almost a month since Avani left without any sign. I was still not getting any sleep at night, I think a doctor would diagnose my case as acute insomnia. And why would I need sleep, I was living a nightmare anyway.

Board exams conducted throughout India generally follow this system. Students are assigned to different schools in their cities, schools act as an examination centres. It was rare for one to get their own school as a centre. My centre was Westbridge High, a super duper high school in Bandra, the school Ananya attends. Thank you, nice funny folks, at the Maharashtra State Board.

I crossed my fingers, as I entered the gates of a colossal building. bunch of my classmates were also here, and Krish was at another centre. He almost rolled over the floor laughing at my joker's luck, when we found out I would be giving the most important exam of my life at Ananya's school.

I looked around, but I couldn't see her. It is as I said, rare to see a student get their own school as a centre. A wave of relief spread over me. It's alright! I can do it! I said to myself.

Soon we were allowed to enter the building, It was a huge 5-storey establishment, with elegant architecture. The classroom had 28 benches, laid out in four sections. I entered the room and looked for my seat, It was the last bench in the first section.

Everyone was entering and settling to their seats, the invigilator was a lady, perhaps in her 40s. she had a stern look on her face, she looked frustrated and bored.

A tall guy with a beard entered the room and sat in the third section. My brain shouted: Nikhil! I wanted to jump out of the window behind me. But he hadn't noticed me so I kept my head down. This means there's a possibility that she is also here. My brain took the cue. I assured myself, She couldn't be, even if she is there are dozen of classrooms.

Then she entered, In dark blue jeans and a black top, she could be a model right now. Our eyes met instantly. she was just as shocked as I was. She took the empty seat beside mine. Fuck! I cursed the fellows at the State Board again.

I could feel her eye on me, I kept playing with my calculator. 1+200= 201, 201-5 = 196. I am definitely screwing up today's math paper.

"Hey," She said in her silky voice.

I took my time to gather the strength, "Hi" I said, not looking at her still.

"All the best," she said.

"Good luck"

"Let's talk after this." Hell no, I did not respond to it.

***

The paper was tough, but then again I was dumb at math. I glanced at the bearded-guy Nikhil looking at me, more than once during the exam. I did okay I think. As the final bell rang, the invigilator took our answer sheets. And I couldn't wait for her to take mine, so I can leave as soon as possible. But I did not have a chance to escape the talk. I faced her, finally. All the scenes flashed before my eyes, but the kissing one stuck the longest.

"Why did you ghost me? How could you?" she asked.

"I don't know," I said looking away, hurry Ms Invagilator

"Look, Rish! I want to apologize for what I did that day. I am sorry I lied and ditched you. I will never do it again, can you please talk to me?!"

She thinks I didn't talk to her because she ditched me on a coffee, which makes me a little angry.

"I fucking loved you, and not as a friend. I was a coward on my part for not telling you. but for a long time, I was your so-called best friend, you never mentioned you had a boyfriend. or better you had two boyfriends. or more, I don't know. I just can't look at you. I am sorry." I said with as calm a voice as possible, and the invigilator arrived at my bench, finally. I gave her the paper and walked out, without looking back.

I went to Krish's exam centre, to pick him up. I told him what happened, and he processed it like a statue then laughed till we reached home. "Well, it's good that you confessed your feelings." He said. I did feel like I lost some weight.

Surprisingly, I was able to fall asleep at night. Tomorrow was chemistry, I could write that paper in my sleep and get over 90. After that was Physics, a hard pass. The Computer and English, those two are easy-As.

"I never realised, you had feelings for me. why didn't you tell me?" she said, playing with her pen. the invigilator, the same grumpy lady was handing out answer sheets.

"Yeah," I replied.

"You should have told me earlier," she said, I know! why does everyone keep saying that?

"Why you would take me as the 3rd boyfriend?" I fired back, with frustration.  

----

❤️