Chapter 15

That night I partied with Krish at "Anna's dosa" a street food truck that served South Indian food, a few minutes' rides from our homes. "Wow! so you did it! I can't believe you." Krish said.

"I feel great and miserable at the same time."

"Why?"

"I might never see her again."

"That can be a good thing."

"But we have known each other for so many years, It's just hard to imagine it's over."

"My friend you need to eat dosa, it will help you move on." He said and ordered two masala dosas, few minutes later we were having the best dosas in the world. "Delicious food can heal or at least make you forget your deepest wounds." Krish said, "What happened with Avani?"

"I don't know, she just disappeared."

"Did you go to her home?"

"Dude! No."

"Do you like her?" He asks, taking a sip from his sambhar.

"Dude! No."

"Are you sure?"

"Of course, I am sure."

"Did you like spending time with her?" He asks. A reel of our short time together plays in my mind, and yes I liked the time spent with her. "Yes," I nod.

"Well, alright. But this time if you start liking her tell her immediately. no more Ananya episodes." He said. "okay captain." I said.

***

The place is full now, and there is a long queue for orders. The street is bustling with the noise of people and cars. "Are you going to miss this noise?" I ask him.

"Of course I am." he says, " I was born here, stayed my entire life in the same neighbourhood. It is a city of filth, and noise and people are always in hurry. But there's something about it. the city. I will miss it." there's something about it, It reminds me of Avani.

"When you talk this deep, I almost forget you are the same bastard who used to piss in the school's garbage can." I said and we burst into laughter.

"Damn man! Sister Angela slapped me so hard, my teeth still hurt remembering about it."

"You were so stupid, you said I could not hold on to my pee till restroom ." I said laughing, "we were so stupid." and we laughed.

My phone buzzed, "Heyy!" it was a text from an unknown number.

"Hello, who's this?"

"Hey! It's me, Avani." oh damn.

"Oh wow, how did you get my number? and where did you disappear to?"

"Back to Chandigarh, had to give my exams. I had Sister Angela's number, she gave me yours." oh damn.

"Wow, she sure is an angel."

"That she is."

"So when are you coming back?"

"Next week."

"Great." I said, "Risen from your ashes?" I asked.

"Partly yes. How are your ruins?" she asks back.

"Reconstruction in progress."

"Great! <3" 

"What are you doing on your phone?" Krish asks, I show it to him. "Oh look what we have here, wait you told me you don't have each other's numbers."

"Sister Angela."

"Damn, she is James Bond or what?"

"Who knows, maybe she is."

A waiter brings us two fresh cups of sambhar. Krish picks up his and raises it and says.

"To Sister Angela!" 

"To Sister Angela," I said and added, " To Japan."

"To high school," he said.

"To Us," we said in chorus, and chugged the cup filled with hot spicy sambhar, remembering our best and worst moments together before we diverge, like two branches of the same tree.

***

The End

------

Hello, my dear readers❤️! If you have reached this far, Thank you so much. It was my first ever work that I completed. let alone publish.

I hope to get better and write more and more. 

❤️