01. ʰᵃᵛᵉ ʸᵒᵘ ˢᵉᵉⁿ ᵐᵒᵃⁿᵃ?

༄⁂༄⁂༄

"So remember that girl I went on a date with last week? Her name was Kylie?"

"Yeah." Livia was listening intently to what Gabbi was talking about as they sat dipping their feet in the water of a pool, but she wasn't facing her friend.

Gabbi set her drink down on the edge of the pool, clasped her hands together. "We have another date tomorrow. I'm thinking about taking her to see a movie. I just feel like she talked too much on our first date that I almost lost interest."

"Yeah," Livia spoke for a second time. Gabbi thought it was unlike Livia to not be paying close attention to their conversation. It was one of the things she loved most about Livia, she listened like no one else did. Gabbi leaned forward to catch where she was staring off at, finding her eyeing the middle of the pool. Elliot Tanners, Gabbi's brother's best friend, was laid out on a pool floaty, smoking a joint.

Gabbi blinked a few times, as if he was a mirage that would go away. "What are you doing, Liv? You can't be crushing on Elliot. He's a total dickwad."

Livia whirled her head around, finally taking her eyes off the boy. "Shh," she nudged Gabbi with her shoulder. "I'm not. He's cute, obviously, but there's no way I'd go for it." She watched their legs sway in the water. "Because obviously, he's a dick."

"Okay," Gabbi smiled. "Just making sure."

Livia and Elliot had been around each other a lot since he became best friends with Max in elementary school. Livia hung out with Gabbi, which meant she saw Max more than she would like to, in turn seeing Elliot, Drea, Tara, Montana, and Meghan as well. The bigger group mostly ignored Gabbi and Livia, and both groups were happy with that, problems arising much less the fewer times they interacted.

Livia turned back to where Elliot was, but his neck was craned back, looking in their direction. The girl acted like she was just scanning the pool, taking her eyes off him in case he was looking at her. Which she thought was unlikely, but if he was, she didn't want to seem creepy. "Shall we go indulge another drink?" She changed the subject with a fake English accent, suddenly feeling uncomfortable.

Gabbi had already started getting out of the pool before she answered. "Certainly," she replied in a posh tone.

༄⁂༄⁂༄

By the next day, practically everyone had seen the sex tape Drea Torres had made for Max Broussard. Livia promised herself she wouldn't watch it, knowing that if she was in Drea's position, she wouldn't want anyone to watch it either.

"Did you watch it?" Livia asked, walking up to Gabbi before school.

The girl didn't say anything back. She just puckered her lips, raising her chin to look away from her best friend. That was enough for Livia to know the answer.