ONE

Many years passed, and Elsa learned to control her powers. She was now Queen of Arendelle. Although she was not a threat to anybody anymore, those questions from her childhood never seemed to be answered.

The gates were open wide, and several dignitaries were invited to a royal gala being held at the castle. All the guests gathered in a hallway, speaking to one another. Elsa stood staring into the fjord from an adjoining balcony. She seemed troubled, lost in her thoughts.

Within the hall, several dignitaries were engrossed in a discussion about Alex.

"And Prince Hans was like: No! This can't be happening, guards!" one gentleman spoke aloud. Another dignitary concurred,

"Ha! You should have seen the look on the guard's face!"

The first dignitary continued, "And the sergeant replied: Or do you mean 'guard'?"

The men and women had a hearty laugh. Not long after, Alex arrived before them in his mess dress. The 'Hero of Arendelle' medal hung proudly above his uniform pocket. The laughter of the dignitaries simmered down, and many of them exclaimed in hushed voices, "The royal sergeant!" "It is him," "Color Alex."

Alex smiled warmly and greeted them aloud, "Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen!"

"Good afternoon." "Afternoon, color sergeant." "A very good afternoon."

He appreciated the greetings, beaming. As they got back to their chitter-chatter, he moved toward the balcony where the queen was standing. Realizing that something was bothering her, he took a few more steps to the relatively isolated balcony. However, he could hear whispered conversations manifest among the dignitaries, presumably about himself. Looking back at them, who were more or less looking at him, he stopped.

'Why set all tongues wagging unnecessarily? I'll talk to her later.' he thought to himself, walking away in a different direction down the hallway.

Elsa absent-mindedly stared out into the sea, engulfed in disquietude. Kai entered the balcony from the hallway.

"Your majesty--" started Kai, refining his stance. Elsa was taken by surprise. A burst of magic from her hands froze the wooden railing of the balcony.

"Oh!" she exclaimed, as her hands jammed onto the railing.

"They're ready."

"Hehe, excuse me," she said as she struggled to separate her hands from the ice. Kai looked astonished but held a reserved face nonetheless.

Elsa finally broke away from the ice and declared, "I'm coming."

Suddenly, she heard a mysterious voice calling out to her.

"Did you hear that?" she asked Kai with seriousness.

Kai grew confused but considered what the queen said. After a brief moment, he was convinced that he heard nothing.

"What?" he asked, puzzled. Elsa decided not to bother him.

"Nevermind." She said as they walked into the hallway.

Away in the bustling town of Arendelle, Anna roamed the streets, meeting all the people and talking to them. She liked to be in the town and the countryside much more than she wanted to be in the castle. She whistled through the street and ran around the plaza square. At the dock, she admired magnificent ships of foreign dignitaries. She declared to herself that this perfect corner of the earth was indeed her home.

Deep within herself, she felt that she had not yet done enough for all these happy, prosperous, and warm people that she knew. As she strolled through the marketplace, she nominated a new treat to be her favorite—krumkake!