FOUR

Alex caught up to Elsa, admiring the crystals. Never in his life had he seen Elsa do something so enchanting with her magic. He clapped aloud, standing below the frozen cliff she had made. Hearing the applause, Elsa was slightly startled. At the sight of Alex standing there, she reckoned he had heard and seen more or less everything. She instantly blushed, smiling nevertheless.

"I said you would make an amazing artist, didn't I?" Alex reminded her as she walked down the ice cliff and stood before him. "They're wonderful, Elsa." he looked at the crystalline symbols and said.

"Thank you." she simpered. "They represent the four magical spirits if you noticed."

Alex studied the symbols and agreed, "Yeah... Yes, I did."

All the crystals fell to the ground like the clatter of shattering glass. In the distance, both of them could see the lights in the town being blown off.

"The town... What's happening, Alex?" Elsa asked, discomfited at the scene.

"I don't know... We should go and check it out," Alex suggested.

They ran toward the walls of the castle. Running was easy on the grass, but as they crossed into the frozen fjord, Alex began to slip and slide. Eventually, he lost balance and toppled over. On the other hand, Elsa didn't share his difficulty—she moved on the ice without losing speed or direction. However, when she noticed Alex, she stopped, concerned.

"A little help here, Elsa?" asked Alex, sliding slowly on the ground with several crystals sticking onto his uniform. Smirking briefly, she moved her hands and created skates of ice on his feet. She did the same for herself, and they skated swiftly toward the castle wall.

Although they didn't openly declare it, they were having quite a race; Elsa was on the lead, but Alex wasn't far behind. As they neared the wall, both of them accelerated at top speed—Alex took the lead. Overtaking Elsa, he turned to look back at her with a challenging smile. Elsa did just the same, but moments later, she looked frightened and alarmed.

"No. Alex, look out! Stop!"

Alex turned to see the wall right in front of him—he was dangerously close. He gasped as he reached the wall and closed his eyes. Quickly, Elsa made his ice skates disappear and created a huge, fluffy cloud against the wall. Alex braced for impact as he came rapidly into the cloud. Elsa made her magical skates vanish, too, and slowed down. She walked onto the bank by the castle wall and looked at her cloud expectantly. Fortunately, it caught Alex, and he gently landed on his knees.

"Are you alright?" Elsa asked with grave worriment as Alex got up and dusted the crystals off his uniform.

"Fortunately, I am." he accepted. He stood before her and righted his uniform, looking straight ahead like a soldier was supposed to.

Elsa noticed a crystal stuck between the buttons of his tunic. She removed it gradually and chuckled to herself. Alex looked at her, smiling, "Thank you, my Queen." They were lost in each other's eyes for a moment. Then, Alex broke away from the gaze and reminded her urgently, "Elsa, the town."

"The... you're right!" she snapped out of it and agreed, "Let's not waste time." They hurried back into town.

Back at the castle, Kristoff walked with quick steps beside Sergeant Major Emil. He asked the senior enlisted man, "What is happening?"

With a start, the lights in the hallway were blown off by an inexplicable force. Luckily, they were not far from the doors that led to the courtyard. The glint of moonlight dimly illuminated the way.

"The lights all over Arendelle have been blowing off mysteriously, my Lord. The water too seems to have been absurdly seeping into the sea from the town." reported the sergeant major. While walking briskly, Kristoff gave it a bit of thinking and counseled, "What good is a kingdom without warmth and water for the people? I strongly advise evacuating the people to higher ground... Maybe a mountain or something."