CHAPTER 14 - TWICE

KAYLA

I couldn't wrap my mind around what was happening right now. Yugyeom suddenly came to my desk, demanding me to come with him to be a backup dancer for Twice, who's about to film a MV. But suddenly one of their backup dancer caught up in an accident, thus they were down one person and it might jeopardize the dance formation. From what he was telling me, he was sure that I would be able to learn the dance sequence because the dancers that I've been practicing with were on the same group as Twice's choreographer. Some of the moves that I learnt from them were the moves for their dance as well. So I basically only needed to remember the sequence. They also wouldn't have problem with my height. Yeah, since I was a foreigner, I was taller than most Korean girls, but Yugyeom said Tzuyu, one of Twice member was quite tall herself.

After telling me those informations, Yugyeom basically dragged me out of my desk, shouting to Minji that he was kidnapping me for a few hours and he would clear it with our team leader himself. And now, I was shoved into the car, heading toward the set, watching the video of the dance practice so I could memorize the sequence. Yugyeom helped me to practice as much as we could inside the car and so far I've memorized the sequence. I just needed to practice with the rest of the dancers on set. Yugyeom was positive that I could do it after a few rounds of practice. Then I was led to a preparation room where the stylists crowded me within seconds. They hurriedly told me to change my clothes, which luckily, the costume fit me and then started to do my hair and makeup. Since my hair color was naturally light brown, they didn't do anything much aside from styling it. But my eyes were blue, so it popped up on the screen. As I wanted to blend in the background, they told me to put on a colored contact lens so my eyes was hazel now.

Once I was done with the hair and makeup, Yugyeom introduced me to all Twice members and the rest of the backup dancers. Once Yugyeom mentioned my name, some of the backup dancers recognized my name. Apparently, the backup dancers that went with GOT7 on tours were on the same team as some of the backup dancers here for Twice. The boys helped GOT7 while the girls danced for Twice. That was why they have heard of me. It made things easier as they felt like they knew me already from their friends' stories. After being introduced, we went down into business quickly. I practiced with the rest of the team before it was time to film the MV. Since they had to shoot individual shoots for the members as well, I had some extra time to practice for some more.

"Don't worry noona, you'll be fine," Yugyeom tried to assure me while I glared at him.

"Yeah, easy for you to say. If it isn't because of you, I won't be at this spot," I shot daggers at him while he flashed his teeth at me.

We were cut short because it was time to shoot the dancing scenes. The rest of the backup dancers smiled at me reassuringly and told me that it was okay if I messed up. I was no professional dancer so it was understandable if I messed up. Plus they could always re-take the scene. I thanked them and focused my mind. I got into my position and took a deep breath. When the music started, my body started to move in sync with the rest of the backup dancers.

"Okay, cut! That's good. We'll take one more shoot and then move on to the next scene," the director shouted and then after a few minutes, the music started again. I started to feel my cheek hurt because of the smiling. Apparently, we were supposed to dance and smile at the same time in order to look cheerful on screen. Once we were finished with the first shoot, I headed back to the prep room and changed clothes. The next scene happened exactly just as before. We danced as practiced and the director took several shots to be safe for editing later.

"Okay! It's a wrap! Thank you everyone!" the director shouted and all of the people on the set started to bow down at each other and thanked everyone on set. Twice's manager came up and thanked me for filling up the spot in such a short notice.

YUGYEOM

I knew I made the right choice when I suggested Kayla noona to fill in the spot. She totally nailed the choreography. She made a mistake or two, but considering she never danced before and she wasn't even a professional dancer, I could say that she was good. The rest of the backup dancers worked in sync with her and the shooting went smoothly. Twice manager also thanked me for finding a dancer in such a short notice. Even though at first Kayla noona was angry at me for dragging her here, after the shoot ended, I could see that she was clearly enjoying it. She loved to dance and it was seen clearly on her face. I wondered why she didn't try to find a work related to dance and joined the company as a social media team instead.

We were on our way back to the company after the shoot because her stuff was still at the company. Plus I was MIA for the whole day. I bet Jaebeom hyung would hang me tomorrow. But I've told our manager my whereabouts so I should be fine.

"Soooo...," I started. "How do you like it?"

I could see that she tried to hide her excitement, "It was .... okay."

"Anyway noona, if you like to dance, why don't you find a dance-related job?"

She shrugged, "I can't dance before this. I mean, I never train as a dancer before, so thanks to your backup dancers, I can dance a little bit now."

"But if you can get a dance-related job, would you accept it?" I pestered.

"I don't know. Is the wage good? I need to pay rent, my daily needs and send some for my father, so I probably won't if the payment is too little," she answered honestly.

My face fell when I heard her reason. The wage for backup dancers was not that good. She would make more money working as the social media team rather than a backup dancer.

"But ain't it sad that you can't do whatever you like as a job?" I questioned but she kept silent.

"By the way, you haven't told me the complete story about how you found out about me dancing," she suddenly changed the course of our conversation.

"Ah.. That...," I smirked. "I noticed that you always headed back with the dancers, so I was curious about it. I followed you one day and I saw you dancing with the backup dancers. I watched long enough to see that you're good," I confessed. "Next time, you don't need to slip off quietly if you want to practice with the dancers. You can practice with them whenever they're free. I'll tell Jaebeom hyung."

She shook her head, "No. I practice dancing just for fun, and you've ruined it for me."

I gaped, "How can you say that? I'm just giving you the opportunity to show you that you're good at dancing and you shouldn't hide it." She still glared at me so I decided to stir the conversation again. "By the way noona, why do you need a lot of money? Are you in debt?" Once it left my mouth, I realized I've asked something too personal.

"No," I was relieved that she answered me voluntarily. "I wasn't in debt, but I don't want my father to worry about me. After all, I"m all he got. I want my father to live comfortably and enjoy life."

I smiled at her answer. She was a doted daughter and I was glad that she wasn't in trouble. "Then, you should enjoy your life as well, noona," I smiled at her while she raised an eyebrow at me.

"What do you mean by that?"

"You work 9-5 aside from going with us on tour, right? Then, what if I put up good words for you so you can join the backup dancers group and get several job as backup dancers if the schedule is outside your working hour? And you can join them to practice as well after our tour ended."

Her eyes widened at my offer, "Seriously?" Then she quickly changed her mind, shaking her head as she said so, "No no no, I can't take your offer."

"It's okay.. Just think about it. After all, we'll be going on tour again. You're coming with us again, aren't you? Then after the tour, you can make up your mind and tell me whatever decision you take," I promised her and she just nodded.

"Anyway, why are you helping me? It's not like we're on the best terms," she questioned.

I shrugged, "Why not? We should help one another as human beings. Plus, you've been saving my ass twice so I should return the favour." And just that she accepted my reason and said nothing else until we arrived back at the company.