Chapter 2

Across the room, Kaeya sees a young, blond man leaning against Crepus' ornate cedar bar. He catches his gaze and holds up a hand, waving - Kaeya picks his own drink up off the back of the piano and heads over, through the crowds of Knights between them.

"Good evening," he greets, sidling beside the man, "What brings you to my humble abode?"

"Grand Master Varka said I should, ah, 'mingle'. To get to know my peers." He pauses, "You're Master Diluc?"

Kaeya cannot help but laugh, "No, no, I'm his much, much more attractive older brother, Kaeya. See, how there is wine in my glass? He couldn't order this." Technically, Kaeya also can't order alcohol, being sixteen and still a couple months off even turning seventeen. But he wants to impress this guy.

"Oh... The bartender won't serve me either, actually."

"You're not eighteen?"

"... Not really?"

Kaeya's taste is something else, honestly, can't even get a straight answer out of this guy. He must be a new Knight of Favonius, if Varka wants him to mingle at this event and Kaeya hasn't ever met him before.

"What's your name?" He asks, since that question should hopefully have a clear answer.

"Albedo. I'm the new Head Alchemist - I apologise for mistaking you for your brother, it's just that no one has mentioned you."

That's typical, "Well, the party is in his honour, after all, most people should be talking about him." Then, a little bitterly he adds - "Master Crepus needs to feel involved in Diluc's life somehow."

"Ah, I see; this is about the opening in the Cavalry Captain position? We are supposed to be voting on that on Monday."

"You get a say on that? But you're new, right?"

"I suppose Grand Master Varka wanted a more intellectual perspective on who should be promoted. Master Diluc's history with the Knights is extremely impressive, though you say he is younger than you?" Albedo leans toward Kaeya with his whole body, like this is what is finally interesting him about their conversation.

Kaeya leans into him too, so that their arms graze one another on top of the bar, "You know, I would prefer to talk more about you - that's also part of 'mingling' at parties."

"But I already know everything about myself?"

"I don't."

"Oh. Oh." Albedo pulls away from the bar, but Kaeya can see the small smile on his face. "I really should use this event to meet the candidates for the position, but tomorrow morning I am quite free."

He does his best not to let his excitement show in his expression, "Then I will pick you up tomorrow. Do you have a place in Springvale?"

Apparently Albedo will be at the Favonius Headquarters working on a project all night, and despite Kaeya's arguments he still thinks the best time for a breakfast date is immediately after pulling an all-nighter.

"Not sleeping won't affect me too much." He says, knowingly.

Kaeya figures arguing more won't solve anything, "Fine, fine. Since you want to meet the candidates, I can try and collar Diluc to bring him over to you? Whilst not as impressive as me, he is definitely the best choice for Cavalry Captain." He's been doing daily horse-riding lessons since he was literally four years old.

"If he's not too busy, that would be much appreciated."

They part ways and Kaeya heads out of the foyer to check for Diluc in the formal dining room, seeing Crepus, Varka and Seneschal Pegg sitting around one side of the table and laughing rather heartily together. Kaeya would guess that they have been drinking, if Lady Frederica's disapproving glare means anything, though Varka can hardly ever be seen without a drink in his hand, so that isn't surprising.