020 ➪ Venti's 'master' plan

"Seems the dragon wasn't the only thing affected by this change in the wind. . ." Venti whispers as he watches us walk towards him, "Now then, before I forget and tell you my plan, you were saying someone had told you about the dragon?"

Aether and Paimon nod and I follow them and nod too. I probably look so scholarly and dignified.

"Lisa, the Mondstadt Librarian. She told us about his past and the sudden change in his anger. . ." Aether told him

"And with your lovely singing, we learnt some more about him!" I add cheekily.

"Is that so? Quite the scholar I must say, that Lisa. . . She's not wrong. The conflict has reached this point, only because both sides have resorted to the use of force, but with the lack of people praying in the temples. . . It's no surprise he thought everyone had abandoned him," he shakes his hand in disappointment.

"His hate did not arise from the people not making tribute to The Four Winds" Aether states causing me to look at him weirdly.

". . .Yes you are right, Nor was it born from his own nature, but instead came about as a product of his degradation,"  Venti reply's.

What the hell is degradation?!

"Degra... dation?" Paimon and I ask.

"The black blood flowing through his heart has been torturing him for years, That's what has allowed him to be led astray by the lies of the Abyss Mage," Venti seems annoyed by the Abyss mage, i guess I would be too if an abyss mage corrupted Paimon, Or would I?

"Abyss Mage? Never heard such a name," aether asks, huh, I'm pretty sure you have seen one before silly.

"They are from the Abyss Order, an organization comprised of non-human beings. They despise mankind," I answer for Venti this time, "we've fought some before and anyway, there's no way you've heard about them in mondstadt,"

"I don't know where they come from. All I know is that they hold deep hatred towards the human world actually, Many hilichurls out in the wild take orders from them and act as their weapons. . . Before arriving here, I too was like Dvalin, cursed and left to waste. But now, before us stands the Symbol of Mondstadt's Hero, the place from which Mondstadt rose," he breathes in.

"The wind amongst the branches is good, I love the way it smells..." he smiles.

"Being here with you beneath this great tree feels like when the tear was purified earlier. Like the poison is leaving my body... Mmmmmmm... Feels much better," he yawns out.

Wait! He's poisoned?!

"So... how exactly did you get poisoned?" Paimon puts her hand on his forehead, "you don't have a fever,"

"Ahh... that would be because I tried to communicate with Dvalin earlier, but was... interrupted... As a result, not only did I not manage to help Dvalin break his curse, but instead, was also infected myself!" He folds his arms and starts to stare daggers into our souls.

"Oh, ah... that..." aether awkwardly stutters, "that was.. us?"

"Yes it was you!" He yells in a playful anger, "So, to make up for it, Y/N and Aether, you're coming with me to the Cathedral! Yippee!"

What.

Is he kidding?!

"The Mondstadt Cathedral? To do what exactly?" Paimon carefully says.

"it's not something. . . Illegal is it?" I question.

Venti stops is his tracks and starts to move stiffly, "well... I mean... it depends on who you are?" He shrugs his shoulders in a weird attempt to shake it off.

"And?..." Aether pushes, "what are we doing?"

". . . To claim a certain "Holy Lyre der Himmel,"

Oh my archons, he's not kidding.

What an idiot.

Does he not realise how well protected it is?! He can't just stroll in and say 'hey guys! I'm the Anemo Archon, give me the holy lyre! Woohoo! Save the lord!' He would be banned for life!

"So this... "Holy Lyre der Himmel" is..." Paimon starts speaking, she also really doesn't us to steal it.

Thank the archons someone else is smart!

"The most protected thing in Mondstadt" I finish her sentence. Cmon aether, please get our point and refuse stealing it.

"It's the lyre that Barbatos used to play. With it, perhaps I can help Dvalin draw his gentle nature back out of this nightmare he's going through," Venti reply's.

Aether nods his head and from his face, i can't tell if he's sold or not.

"Will it really stop Stormterror from causing more damage?" Aether says suddenly.

Oh no. Oh no no no no.

"Of course. I'm the best bard in the world-," Venti proclaims before I cut into his sentence.

"—Mondstadt," I cough before and after the word.

"Ah," is all Venti says before turning a bright shade of red, "why... I wouldn't say that, There's not a single song I do not know, no matter if it's from the past, present, or future," he brags.

Honestly, he's probably right so I better leave it at that.

"Look me in the eyes. Do you not find me trustworthy?" He whines playfully and holds my hands while staring into my soul.

"No, not at all," I whisper to him with a big smile as I watch his face lose his smile.

"Awh, you are too mean Y/N," he says and I scoff, me, mean? Nah, never!

"The colour of your eyes is like the sky in my hometown," Aether states and breaks me and Ventis mild bickering.

"Oh," I accidentally utter. Oops, I doubt that's what he was expecting.

Venti smiles at Aether, "Hahaha, that one doesn't work on a bard," he shakes his head.

"So how can we get the Holy Lyre?" Paimon asks the big question but it's quite obvious, we go in at night with a mask on and we rob it.

"It's said that it's enshrined deep within the Cathedral, somewhere safe. I'll go take a look around. You can come if you want," he offers.

Paimon looks at me and Aether in question.

"I don't mind, Aether?" I ask him.

"I don't mind either," he reply's.

"Perfect! I could always have a few more hands!" Venti smiles.

"Cmon then! Before you change your mind!" And with that, Venti had run off again. Probably expecting us to follow him. . . And we did.

"Come on!!" Paimon whines dragging Aethers hand.

***

Extra chapter :)