Chapter 2 Open book

FanFiction

Just In

Community

Forum

More

Solar Midnight: Midnight Sun Reimagined (Life and Death, Book I) by beyondthedawn

 Books » Twilight Rated: T, English, Supernatural & Romance, Beau S., Edythe C., Words: 224k+, Favs: 59, Follows: 36, Published: Dec 26, 2020 15Chapter 2: OPEN BOOK

I leaned back against the soft snowbank, letting the dry powder reshape itself around my weight. My skin had cooled to match the air around me, and the tiny pieces of ice felt like velvet under my skin.

The sky above me was clear, brilliant with stars, glowing blue in some places, yellow in others. The stars created majestic, swirling shapes against the black backdrop of the empty universe—an awesome sight. Exquisitely beautiful. Or rather, it should have been exquisite. Would have been, if I'd been able to really see it.

It wasn't getting any better. Six days had passed, six days I'd hidden here in the empty Denali wilderness, but I was no closer to freedom than I had been since the first moment I'd caught his scent.

When I stared up at the jeweled sky, it was as if there were an obstruction between my eyes and its beauty. The obstruction was a face, just an unremarkable human face, but I couldn't quite seem to banish it from my mind.

I heard the approaching thoughts before I heard the footsteps that accompanied them. The sound of movement was only a faint whisper against the powder.

I was not surprised that Taran had followed me here. I knew he'd been mulling over this coming conversation for the last few days, putting it off until he was sure of exactly what he wanted to say.

He sprang into sight about sixty yards away, leaping onto the tip of an outcropping of black rock and balancing there on the balls of his bare feet.

Taran's skin was silver in the starlight, and his long blond curls shone pale. His amber eyes glinted as he spied me, half-buried in the snow, and his full lips stretched slowly into a smile.

Exquisite. If I'd really been able to see him. I sighed.

He hadn't dressed for human eyes; he wore only a pair of shorts. Crouching down on a promontory of stone, he touched the rock with his fingertips, and his body coiled.

Cannonball, he thought.

He launched himself into the air. His shape became a dark, twisting shadow as he spun gracefully between the stars and me. He curled himself into a ball just as he struck the piled snowbank beside me.

A blizzard of snow flew up around me. The stars went black and I was buried deep in the feathery ice crystals.

I sighed again, breathing in the ice, but didn't move to unearth myself. The blackness under the snow neither hurt nor improved the view. I still saw the same face.

"Edythe?"

Then snow was flying again as Taran swiftly disinterred me. He brushed the powder from my skin, not quite meeting my gaze.

"Sorry," he murmured. "It was a joke."

"I know. It was funny."

His mouth twisted down.

"Ivan and Kirill said I should leave you alone. They think I'm annoying you."

"Not at all," I assured him. "On the contrary, I'm the one who's being rude—abominably rude. I'm very sorry."