Chapter 19 Home

FanFiction

Just In

Community

Forum

More

Solar Midnight: Midnight Sun Reimagined (Life and Death, Book I) by beyondthedawn

Books » Twilight Rated: T, English, Supernatural & Romance, Beau S., Edythe C., Words: 224k+, Favs: 59, Follows: 36, Published: Dec 26, 2020 15Chapter 19: HOME

I wondered if I would ever spend a night happier than this one. I doubted it.

As he slept, Beau told me again and again that he loved me. More than the words themselves, the sound of perfect bliss in his tone was all I could ever want. I made him truly happy. Did that not excuse everything else?

Eventually, in the very early morning, he settled into deeper sleep. I knew he wouldn't speak again. After finishing his book-one of my favorites now, too-I'd thought mostly about the day ahead, about Archie's vision of Beau visiting my family. Though I'd seen it clearly in Archie's head, it was hard to believe. Would Beau want that? Did I?

I considered Archie's fairly well-developed friendship with Beau, of which Beau was completely ignorant. Now that I felt assured about the future I was pursuing-and the likelihood of it happening-it did feel a little cruel to keep Archie away from him. What would Beau think of Eleanor? I wasn't one hundred percent sure that she would behave herself. She would find it hilarious to say something off-putting or frightening. Maybe, if I promised her something she wanted... A wrestling match? A football game? There had to be a price she'd accept. I'd already seen how Jessamine would keep her distance, but had Archie thought to tell her that, or was his vision contingent on my action? Of course, Beau had met Carine, but it would be something different now. I found that the idea of Beau spending time with Carine was appealing to me. She was the very best of us. It could only make him think more highly of us all to know her better. And then, Earnest would be ecstatic to meet Beau. The thought of Earnest's pleasure almost had my mind made up.

There was just the one obstacle, really.

Royal.

I realized there was prep work I absolutely had to accomplish before I could even think of bringing Beau home. And that meant leaving him.

I gazed at him now, deep in his dreams. I'd moved to the floor beside his bed when he'd begun his nightly gyrations. I leaned against the edge of the mattress, one hand outstretched, resting on his. I sighed and stood up. It had to be done. He would never know I'd left. But I would miss him for even this short interlude.

I hurried home, hoping to conclude my tasks in the briefest time possible.

Archie had done his part, as usual. Most of the things I wanted to accomplish were just details. Archie knew which were most vital, and sure enough, Royal was waiting on the front porch, perched on the top step of the stairs, as I ran up to the house.

Archie had not told him much. Royal's face was a little confused when I first spotted him, as if he had no idea what he was waiting for. As soon as he caught sight of me, his confusion turned to a scowl.

Oh, what now!

"Roy, please," I called to him. "Can we talk?"

I should have realized Archie was just helping you.

"And himself, a little."

Royal stood up, brushing his jeans off.

"Please, Roy?"