Chapter 2

If there was one person in the world who filled Lucas Friar with terror, it was Shawn Hunter, Maya's step-father.

Lucas believed that if Cory Matthews was an over protective father to Riley, there was not a word to describe Shawn's parenting style. In fact, Shawn was so over protective over Maya that he made Cory look like a passive parent. Despite Shawn's evident knowledge about Lucas's relationship status, it was like he knew about the thoughts coursing through the teenage boy's head. He never actually said anything to Lucas and he treated him with nothing short of kindness, and he constantly stated that he liked Lucas. But, every now and then Lucas would receive a look from Shawn that gave him the impression that Shawn knew about every dirty thought running through Lucas's head.

Still, every morning Lucas had to be confronted with Shawn Hunter because he was always awake by the time Lucas walked out of Maya's bedroom.

They had started off with Lucas sneaking in and out through the window every night and every morning, but that had stopped after Shawn had asked Maya why Lucas never stayed for breakfast in the morning. Nothing ever seemed to get by Shawn when it came to Maya and that meant that he was well aware of every single time Lucas crawled through the window to sleep in Maya's room for the night.

He had never said anything about their sleepovers to anybody else, which both teenagers were grateful for. The only time that he ever mentioned it to Maya was when he thought that they were trying to hide it. So, Lucas would wake up in the morning, take a quick shower and get dressed before entering the kitchen to wait for Maya to finish getting ready and they would have breakfast together. Then, Lucas would leave to go and pick up his truck and then pick up Riley to give her a ride to school.

However, according to Maya, on that particular morning, Shawn would be gone long before the teenagers were awake. So, Lucas had figured he would wake up a little bit early and make breakfast for Maya himself. Not that he was some expert cook, but he was good enough to make an omelet for his best friend and to fry up some bacon.

"You're up early today."

Lucas jumped at the deep, masculine voice coming from the kitchen of Maya's apartment. If the voice wasn't so familiar to him he would have immediately turned on his defensive stance so that he could protect Maya from whoever had broken into her apartment.

"Maya said you'd be gone early. I figured I could make her some breakfast," Lucas said, struggling to keep his voice calm.

"Got a phone call last night-I don't have to be there until tonight, so I figured I'd stick around and make sure she had a proper breakfast," Shawn shook his head. "How do you want your eggs?" he asked.

"However you're making Maya's is good," Lucas shrugged, making his way towards the kitchen, climbing up onto one of the stools.

"Maya awake yet?" Shawn asked.

"She was heading into the shower when I was changing," Lucas nodded.

"And you changed in her closet," Shawn raised an eyebrow at Lucas, shooting him a pointed look.

"Of course-that's where she keeps all my clothes anyways," Lucas chuckled, trying to avoid the discomfort he got whenever Shawn gave him a look like that.

"And you're dating Riley," Shawn reminded him. "Who, by the way, should know about these little overnights eventually. I've kept your secret for you guys because it's not my place to tell anyone, but you guys can't keep this from Riley forever. She's going to find out eventually," Shawn pointed out.

"I know," Lucas sighed. "Maya's just afraid of how she's going to react and we both know that it doesn't look good that we do this every night. Nobody's going to believe that it is what it really is," He pointed out, reaching behind his neck, scratching behind the neckline of his shirt.