Chapter 9

Maya's entire world stopped turning when he walked through the front door.

He was taller than when she had last seen him. His hair had grown out and was hidden behind a soft, knitted black beanie that Maya wanted for herself. His style had changed, and the baseball tees were long gone, replaced with a black tee shirt for some band Maya hadn't heard of before but would definitely be looking up after he left, with a long sleeved, button down shirt over it and dark wash jeans.

The only reason Maya had known it was him at a glance was because that crooked smile was still in place with that adorable, lone dimple and his dark brown eyes still shined with a mischievous gleam as he glanced around him.

"Boing," Maya beamed, smile spreading across her face,

"Ha…that's my uncle, Maya," Riley reminded her nervously.

"Sweet! I would be your aunt," Maya bit down on her bottom lip.

She was coming to terms with the fact that Lucas belonged to Riley. She understood that and she was fine with that. That was, she was fine with it now that this new boy had entered her life, because he was an excellent replacement for Lucas Friar.

Riley stared at her friend in shock, shaking her head at her antics. At least the blonde was showing interest in a boy-a boy who wasn't Lucas. She supposed that there were worse guys Maya could set her sights on than her uncle. Besides, it wasn't like anything would ever come of her little crush.

"Uncle Josh!" Riley shrieked as her young uncle walked towards her with a bright smile.

"Riley!" He hugged her tightly.

"Uncle Josh!" Maya pushed past Riley and wrapped her arms around Josh, squeezing him in one of the tight hugs she usually only ever reserved for Riley.

"Uh, Im not your uncle, Maya," Josh snickered, returning her hug.

"Even better," She grinned, stepping away from him so that he could admire her.

"Um…it's…it's been a while," Josh stuttered as he scanned the middle schooler, reaching behind his head to scratch at the nape of his neck.

Maya smiled to herself, because she knew that he thought she was beautiful. She knew that he was trying to remind himself that she was three years younger than him and his niece's best friend. And she was loving every second of it because he was looking at her the way that Riley looked at Lucas. The way Cory and Topanga looked at one another. The way nobody had ever looked at her before.

It made her feel special and it only locked in her feelings for the dark haired boy.

"Sure has," She cooed.

"Well…boy, you grew up gorgeous," he blurted out before walking away to talk with other family members.

Riley gasped, jaw dropping and eyes growing wide as Maya turned towards the brunette with a broad smile.

"You are not going to be my aunt!"

"So, listen…I have an assignment next week up in Columbia county-upstate New York? It;s beautiful up there," Shawn explained to the group before him.

"We're gonna miss you, Shawn," Cory frowned, reaching out to grab his best friend in a tight, breath-taking hug.

"Well," Shawn said, dodging his friend's arms. "Maybe not," He explained. "'Cause, I was thinking maybe…you might wanna come?" He asked, looking towards the girls.

"All of us?"

"I wouldn't have it any other way. You know-"

"Here it comes," Topanga rolled her eyes.