Chapter 47

Maya was curled up in a ball in her bed the day after her birthday, with her arms wrapped around her legs. Her chin was resting on her knees, as she stared blankly ahead at the wall in front of her. She was wearing a pair of black, cropped leggings and an oversized, long-sleeve Abigail Adams football shirt that she had stolen from Lucas a long time ago. Her hair was piled up onto the top of her head in a messy bun, still crunchy from the night before and she was sure her face looked terrible, with her makeup smudged from the night before.

She hadn't moved from that spot since she had gotten home from her party, because she couldn't find the motivation. This week was spirit week, leading up to the Homecoming game and the election. And not only was Maya going to have to watch Missy Bradford win the crown that she so badly desired, but she was going to be flooded with a mess of memories from the previous year.

A part of her wanted to beg her mother to let her miss that entire week of school, but she knew she had no choice. Her mother would never agree to that and there was no chance that Shawn would take pity on her either.

Riley was besides her, arms wrapped awkwardly around the blonde, unsure of what she was supposed to do, as this was new territory for the both of them.

When Riley and Lucas had broken up, Riley had been too angry, and Maya had been too confused for this type of heartbreak as a result. Riley hadn't needed a night where she would lock herself away from the world and wallow in self-pity.

Josh and Maya breaking up had been in the middle of a new triangle mess. There had been too much going on in Maya's life for her to focus on how sad she was over it all. There hadn't been a need to sit in her bedroom, unable to cry because she had used up all of her tears already, unable to speak and wishing that she could, so that she could tell Riley to leave her alone, because the only person she wanted, was the one person she couldn't have.

Riley being there was great, and Maya would never belittle the efforts of her best friend to try to make her feel better, but even Riley had to be aware of the fact that things were awkward between the pair. Riley didn't know what to do in this type of a situation. She didn't know what to say or how to act. All that she knew was that her best friend was sad, and that meant she had to do everything in her power to make her feel better.

The problem was, Riley wasn't used to being on this side of things. Riley was always the one who needed the support. She was the one who cried while Maya sat beside her trying to make her feel better. Maya was the one who acted as the supportive friend at all times. She always knew what she had to do to make Riley feel better, because that was the type of friend that she was. Riley longed for that ability, but even she knew that Lucas was the only one who had ever been able to get Maya out of a state like the one she was currently in.

And the biggest problem with that was that Lucas wasn't answering anybody.

Nobody knew what was going on with him or how he was taking things because he hadn't spoken to anybody since the moment he had left the party and ended things the blonde beauty he had been trying to get a date with since he had first arrived in New York City.

Zay had tried to go after him, but he'd been out of sight by the time Zay had made his way out of the club the night before. He'd proceeded to call and text him, to no avail. Farkle had called him multiple times, but he had never gotten an answer. Smackle had tried showing up at his house, but his mom had told her that he wasn't feeling well and wasn't up for any visitors. Even Riley had tried to reach out to let him know that she wasn't upset with him for what he had said the night before, but nobody was getting any sort of a response from him. And that scared the group even more than watching Maya in this motionless state.

After all, this was how Lucas got when he did something.

This was how Maya got when she did something.