Chapter 8

"You tried to tell me…you tried to tell me that you knew Lucas and I weren't meant to be together…"Riley said.

It was late at night on Saturday, after the girls had finished dinner with Riley's parents and they were sitting at the bay window, having one of their typical heart to hearts. But, for a change, the main topic of their conversation was not Riley and her own problems. Instead, the core of their discussion was Maya, and the love triangle she had been pulled into.

"Riley, it doesn't matter," Maya assured her.

"Peaches, if I had listened to you none of this ever would have happened!" Riley whined.

"It doesn't matter. We can't change the past, Riles," Maya insisted.

"But…Maya, I helped cause all of this!"

"No, you didn't. I could have fought for him. He could have spoken up and voiced his opinion. I could have stayed single instead of moving onto Josh when I wasn't over Lucas yet. Zay and Farkle could have told us all how stupid we were being," Maya pointed out, trying to calm her best friend down.

"Maya, do you know when I should have known the truth?" Riley sighed.

"When?" Maya rolled her eyes.

"The week of the semi-formal. Looking back now…Maya, it's all so eye opening. If I had just paid more attention to everything that happened that week….things would be so different right now," Riley shook her head.

"Riley, don't you know that things always work out in the end? Everything happens for a reason and that reason is never to hurt people who don't deserve it," Maya told her, placing a hand on her shoulder reassuringly.

"That sounds an awful lot like hope," Riley chuckled.

"Yeah…that's cause it is," Maya nodded.

"I thought that hope was for suckers?" Riley glanced up at her friend from behind a curtain of glossy black locks.

"I used to think that, too," Maya admitted. "And then this quirky little brunette taught me otherwise," Maya smiled at her, pulling Riley towards her so that her head could rest on her shoulder.

"I still feel guilty about not listening to what you were trying to tell me," Riley sighed.

"I don't even know what you're talking about," Maya said blankly.

"Maya, you need to stop acting like you're in the wrong, because you aren't. You tried to warn me that Lucas and I wouldn't work and I didn't listen," Riley insisted. "And that doesn't mean that I was wrong. This isn't anybody's fault, okay? But can you at least admit that I didn't listen to you when you tried to protect my feelings?" Riley pleaded.

"I honestly have no idea what you're talking about, Riley," Maya insisted. "Seriously, I never wanted you to know about what I found out when the yearbooks came out," She said honestly.

"Maybe you didn't, but your subconscious was sending me major hints."

"What does that even mean?"

"You know you remember."

"It's this weekend….Lucas hasn't asked me to the semi-formal. We're Riley and Lucas, aren't we, Maya?" Riley asked.

Maya was getting sick of Riley's constant questions about Lucas and his feelings for her. Couldn't Riley see that Maya had problems of her own? And her problems were every bit as important. Besides, Maya was secretly the last person that Riley should go to for advice about Lucas. Because Maya wanted him to herself.

"I don't know anymore," Maya sighed. "Just tell me what to say," she begged.

She couldn't be the best friend that lied to Riley to protect her anymore. Not about Lucas, at least. It wasn't fair to Riley to lie about what Maya had found out. It wasn't fair to Lucas and it wasn't even fair to Maya herself.