Chapter 12: Treacherous Paths ~part three~

(A/N): Gomen ne!!!~~ I really wanted to post this chapter earlier, but you know, writer's block and stuff... but as a gift for being patient, I'll make this chapter as long as I can. Happy reading!^^

Previously: You noticed Melody was frightened, as if she's seen a ghost.

"Melody, what's wrong?" you asked.

"I sense other heart beats coming this way."

******

You were side tracked for a little while just after Melody made that observation. Before you could protest, the ground started to move as if there was a mole digging underground. You flinched and jumped back a bit in instinct when it came near you. When the mysterious figure emerged from the ground, it's yellow eyes seemed to be starring into your soul....

"I am Worm, a shadow beast. Who might you be?" he spoke in a strange voice.

Dalzollene was the first to respond right away, "We are the bodyguards for Nostrade's Mansion."

After you thought Worm was the only one, three others appeared and claimed to be part of the shadow beasts as well. The other three were named Rabid Dog, Leech, and Porcupine.

After the strange introduction, you noticed that the Shadow Beasts were walking towards the enemy. There's no way that they are strong enough to defeat him! You took a small glance over at Kurapika, his eyes were filled with horror while watching the scene.

"Dammit!" Kurapika cursed while turning the other way and clenching his fist.

"Kurapika..." you said, "what's wrong? What did you see?"

You were now lightly grabbing his arm. Kurapika looked over at your concerned face with vibrant scarlet eyes. Your (e/c) eyes were glistening in the moonlight. Kurapika sighed in defeat when he saw your vulnerable expression.

"(Y/n)... I hate to say this but....that's the Phantom Troupe."

You took a slight step back and looked at the scene of blood being shed between the Shadow Beasts and the Phantom Troupe member. That explains why he's so powerful, you thought. However, when you looked back to where Kurapika was, he seemed to have disapeared. Instead of standing right next to you, he had almost gone berserk after figuring out that you two were witnessing a fight with the main enemy that he wanted revenge on for years.

"I've got to do something! I can't just stand here and watch! The Phantom Troupe must be caught and dealt with!" Kurapika said enraged.

You must say, you did hate the Phantom Troupe with a passion and held the same feelings as Kurapika at the moment, but you didn't want him to slip up and do something he regrets.

"Kurapika, wait-" you called out.

"(Y/n), this is for the best..."

Just before something bad was about to happen, you and Kurapika heard soothing music play letting it's gentle melody calm you both down. You saw in the corner of your eye none other than Melody gracefully playing her flute. As soon as the song was over, you felt the tension between you and Kurapika roll of your shoulders. Kurapika's eyes softened when he looked back at you.

"(Y/n)...please forgive me..."

You just smiled and nodded, "I know you must be stressed over all the Phantom Troupe bussiness, I am as well, I forgive you."

Kurapika also gave a slight smile when you forgave him.

"Melody, thank you for that," Kurapika said.