Part 18

The Sheriff's eyes widened, fighting to get out of what was restraining him.

The Auditor chuckled with a deep, dark, voice, leaving The Sheriff standing there uncomfortably as he sunk into the ground; reappearing behind him.

Auditor )  Traitors don't get to be left alone.

The Auditor glared at The Sheriff, summoning two swords from a dissipated nothingness into his grip. The Sheriff yanked a clammy hand out from the restriction, quickly turning to punch what he thought was an Agent holding him back. But when they were on the floor, he realized it was Tob.

Sheriff ) Tob.? What the hell are you doing?!

Tob chuckled, though his nose was crooked and leaking with blood.

Auditor) Trying to take a stand are we now, Sheriff?

The Sheriff turned his head, backing away from The Auditor. He had to run, he wouldn't survive if he didn't.

He backed out of the corridor. The Auditor easily kept pace as he drifted across the surface of the ground—black fiery smoke following.

Auditor ) I expect you have.. other places to be. Don't you?

The Sheriff did not answer The Auditor, instead; once he got the chance, The Sheriff booked it through the alleys.

He tried to make the twists as confusing as possible, even back-tracking for more confusion.

But when The Sheriff made it out, standing in front of him was a wide-eyed Skittles and a chuckling Auditor.

Their eyes locked for a moment. 

Skittles wasn't restrained by his arms, but the Auditor held a tight grip around their neck with a flamed hand.

Sheriff ) ..you bastard..

The Auditors laugh was deep and hollow.

Auditor ) Since you betrayed me, and did not follow our agreement.. I will be taking this back.

The Sheriff felt his hilt, looking for his Revolver. It was not there.

Auditor ) Looking for this?

The Auditor flashed a shiny, polished, silver revolver with a black grip.

Sheriff ) ..what.?

The Sheriff stared at The Auditor, who stared right back. Happy Hank's eyes were half closed, not looking at either of the other men.

The Sheriff darted up to The Auditor, tackling him so he didn't have a chance to react.

Before The Auditor hit the ground, however; he blew into black fiery smoke, reappearing on his feet a few arm-lengths away.. No longer holding onto Happy Hank.

Auditor ) Fools.

The Sheriff quickly stood, grabbing Skittles' wrist and ran. Skittles was panting quietly, but both knew best not slow down.

They shared no conversation, exchanged no glances. Suddenly, Skittles giggled quietly, covering their mouth with a hand.

Sheriff ) What's so funny.?

Skittles ) Isn't it amusing that-

The Auditor's infamous red eyes glistened ahead. And he glowered. With his flames raised high, he stared into The Sheriff's eyes with anger.

The Sheriff quickly shoved Happy Hank back, moving to the side right before The Auditor's attack. Skittles stared up at him.

Auditor) You filthy traitor! How could you pick him over us?!

Skittles flinched, The Auditors' flames flickering in the subtle wind through the dark street. The Sheriff watched Skittles get up, staring at The Auditor. Yet he remained silent.

Auditor) You disgusting Grunts have no morals! 

The Auditor spat, scowling. He sank into the ground before appearing in front of The Sheriff. If Skittles hadn't jumped in to roll him out of the way, The Sheriff probably would no longer have an arm. 

Auditor's broken Halo was almost now fully hidden by the height of his flames. The Sheriff quickly stood, helping Skittles up. 

Auditor) ENOUGH. YOU ARE GETTING ON MY NERVES WIMBLETON. 

Skittles didn't look much offended. The Auditor did not hesitate to swing for The Sheriff again, though; nicking his leg as he jumped out of the way. 

This is when The Sheriff realized that Agents had began to enclose around them, collectively loading their guns. Skittles must've noticed too, because they both shared a look of worry. 

And it was obvious by now The Auditor was getting irritable, slinging insults at the two of them. 

The Sheriff wiped away the thin trickle of blood running down his leg, trying to think of what he could do. 

Auditor's main weakness is electricity.

How could he use that to his advantage? 

The Auditor slowly approached The Sheriff and Skittles, backing them against the wall of a building. 

Auditor ) Admit defeat, Sheriff. I will not hesitate to slit your throat open.

The Auditor adjusted the long, silver, reflective sword in his hand. The Sheriff could see the fear in his own eyes. He would not be a coward. 

He refused.

So he slowly side-stepped closer to a telephone pole. It had metal stokes for the electricians who climb when repairing the wires, and lots of holes from nails and tacks. Luckily, it was only a few feet away. Unluckily, The Auditor did not let him. As he approached with his back to it, The Auditor spoke.

Auditor ) If you move again, I am gutting him.

The Sheriff froze, staring at The Auditor who was pointing the sword towards Happy Hank. He did not look towards The Sheriff. 

The Sheriff didn't want to hurt Happy Hank again.

He hated the thought in his head, because he knew The Auditor would do good with the threat. The Auditor rose a hand to signal his Agents to prepare for fire. The Sheriff didn't just hate the thought, he hated that he could not get it out. 

But some things required sacrifices.