Chapter 3

Chapter Three

Aster

The storm was over. He felt renewed. Too bad he had to go home. He faked a smile as he left, but when Felicity gave him a hug, she whispered,

“I love you bro, if you need to come back, I don’t mind.”

“I know sis, thanks. I’ll be fine,” he replied looking down into her eyes. 

She’s wise beyond her years, he thought sadly as he went out the door with Blaze and Kai who had just come down stairs. Blaze shot him a mischievous smile as she crawled into Kai’s car. He shook his head and smiled back. He hefted himself into his beat up Chevy and backed out of the driveway. 

I wonder what’s going to go wrong today, he thought grimly. His family was full of issues, most of which they blamed on him; he blamed himself too. No one wanted him at his house, and if it was up to him, he would never go back. But he just couldn’t afford a place of his own, and his parents would never sign for him. 

The lights flashed outside the window. The rain had started back again, a monotone beat in sync with his heart. The city slowly faded into the countryside and the lights were replaced with the green foliage of trees. Soon he was pulling up in front of his house. Reluctantly he got out and went to the front door. He could already hear the screaming, a sure sign that his dad was drunk…again. He sighed and prepared to face the music. Gathering strength from his element, he turned the doorknob and walked into his own personal prison.

The yells were louder now that he was inside. The vibrations bounced off the walls and the echo filled his mind. He tried to make it to his room without being noticed, but was caught. 

“Where have you been all this time?” his mother screamed as both she and his dad turned their attention to him. 

“I’ve been at Felicity’s. I left a note,” he said defiantly. He looked them in the eyes and tried to mask the fear from his own. His dad was like a wolf, if he smelled fear, he would pounce. 

“I didn’t see a note anywhere,” his father slurred, staggering a step closer to him. Even from where he stood, Aster could smell the alcohol on his breath. His eyes were bleary and he still clutched a bottle of beer in his right hand. He shot Aster a look of pure hatred, and Aster stared back unflinching. A wicked smile spread over his features. He took another drink, and then handed it to Aster’s mother. 

Oh no, was the only thing in Aster’s mind as his father stumbled over to where he stood. The next thing Aster knew, he was sprawled on the floor, his left eye throbbing. Aster’s father spit in his direction then headed back to the living room. His mother merely shook her head and stepped over him to go into the kitchen. He pulled himself into a sitting position then managed to get to his feet. He made it to his room, and then the tears came. He didn’t want them to fall, but they did, and after a while, he let them flow freely. 

I’m so pathetic, he thought sniffling. He lay on his bed, curled into a ball. The tears streamed down his face and hit the pillow. The affect reminded him of the rain outside. Shakily, he rose and opened the window. The breeze was cold and felt good against his hot face.  He wiped the tears from his eyes and took a steadying breath. He refused to let them see his pain. He continued to stare out into the storm, deep in thought. Then his cell phone began to ring. It was Felicity.

“Hello?’ he answered trying to sound normal.

“Hey, bro. I was just…calling to check on you…make sure you were ok. Do you need to stay here tonight?” she spoke carefully; comfortingly.