Chapter 7

I didn't realize how zoned out I was until I was brought back to reality by the sound of someone choking behind me. I turned to see my classmate, Claire, gagging on paint water. I suppose that's what you get when you put the paint cup next to your water bottle.

"Claire, you need to pay attention to what you're drinking." Ms. Benson said, shaking her head.

"Yes, sorry. I was paying too much attention to my, um, research." Claire smiled.

"Would you like to share your ideas with the class?" Ms. Benson asked.

Claire suddenly blushed and slammed her laptop shut.

"No thank you." She giggled nervously.

I turned my attention back to my blank canvas. How was I supposed to finish this project in time? I've never been in love before. This is impossible. I placed my head in my hands and took deep breaths to calm myself. I was getting worked up over an art project. An Art Project! This should be easy for me! I'm really good at art, so why is one feeling halting my talent?

The bell rang, pulling me out of my trance. I put my stuff into my bag and walked out of the room.

"Cam!" a voice called.

I turned around and saw Gabe making his way over to me.

"Oh, hey Gabe. What's up?" I smiled.

"Just checking in on you. I'm really sorry about yesterday." He pouted.

"You don't need to keep apologizing." I laughed.

"Well, I feel horrible about it, so get over it." He nudged my shoulder as we walked down the hall.

"Where's your little gang? Aren't they looking for you?" I nudged back.

"Nah, there probably at lunch already, though I think Ashy would get pretty mad at me if he saw me talking to you." He chuckled.

"Ashy?" I laughed.

"Oh God, don't tell him I told you that nickname! He'll literally kill me, chop me up, and throw me in a wood chipper." He pretended to be scared.

"We wouldn't want that, now, would we? My lips are sealed." I smiled, pulling an invisible zipper across my lips and locking it.

"Good. Catch ya later, Cam."

He walked off in the direction of their table. I turned the other way and made my way to Rose, who was drooling over the sight of Kyle.

"I thought we were done with Kyle," I smirked.

"A girl can dream, can't she." She frowned, trying not to smile.

"Okay, so I think I found the shoes this time! Check it out!" Rose said, shoving her phone in my face.

On the screen was a pair of black heels with an ankle strap, and thick heels. They were closed-toe heels and they looked perfect for her dress.

"I love those. Those would work with your dress." I said, taking her phone.

I zoomed in on the image, looking at them closer. They were velvety and pretty. I scrolled down a little and saw the price.

"$156?! For plain heels?!" I gasped.

"Hey! they are high quality and pretty." She snatched her phone from me.

"I still wouldn't pay that much for heels." I scoffed.

"Well I would, don't judge me little miss 'I wear the same silver heels for everything.'" She rolled her eyes.

"Rude. I didn't do that last year."