5.

I watched Penny and my dad say their goodbyes, and I couldn't help but feel a part of their heartbreak. They've tried so hard, for so long. They finally had their shot and now he's flying as team captain on a suicide mission.

I zip up my flight suit, glancing at myself in the mirror. I haven't slept well in almost a month and it's showing. That should be the least of my worries. Right now, we find out who flies and who stays grounded.

"Hey, are you coming?" Rooster asks, knocking on the doorframe as the ship slowly rocks through the waters. I turn to face him, and he gives me a smile that doesn't quite reach his eyes.

"I don't really have a choice, do I?" I follow him out into the hall toward the briefing room, hoping for the best but expecting the worst. The other pilots have filled in the room and Maverick stands at the front, looking out at us all.

"It has been an honor flying with you. Each one of you represents the best of the best. This is a very specific mission. My choice is a reflection of that and nothing more." He sighs.

"Choose your two Foxtrot teams," Simpson orders.

"Mustang and Fanboy. Phoenix and Bob." I lower my head, thankful that I don't have to just stand back and watch. I know Fanboy would've rather flown with Payback, but I hope we can work together well. He's my friend, we can do this.

"And your wingman." Jake raises his chin, expectant and proud. Even at a time like this, his ego precedes him.

"Rooster." A part of me knew he'd pick Bradley. That doesn't make my heart beat any slower, though.

"The rest of you will stand by on the carrier for any reserve role that's required. Dismissed." As the group separates, Fanboy approaches me.

"I know we haven't flown together much, but we can do this." I nod.

"You're damn right we can. I've got your back if you've got mine." He grins.

"Always, Mustang."

We make our way to the loading dock where the final briefing starts. A rundown of what we already know, what we need to know, and what needs to be done. We rise onto the airstrip, heading toward our planes. Phoenix and I hug quickly before doing a final check on our aircrafts. Everything looks good on my end, and I spot Rooster walking past.

"Rooster!" He stops, looking up at me. I can see it on his face. He's scared, anyone would be in his position. Hell, I'm scared. I march toward him, wrapping my arms around him as best as I can with our gear between us. It's a warm hug, one that means goodbye. "Come home." I mutter, pulling away from him and watching the almost unnoticeable nod as he continues walking toward his plane.

I climb up into my own aircraft and the canopy lowers over me and Fanboy, closing us off from the base.

"All good back there?" I ask.

"All good. Let's do this." We give the thumbs up to the crew and taxi onto the runway. My hands buzz and my chest tightens as the engines roar behind me. We can do this. Everybody needs to make it home.

"Dagger One, up and ready on Catapult One." Mav's voice comes over the radio, and it calms me. I should've talked to him before we loaded up. What if I don't get to talk to him again?

"Dagger Spare standing by," Hangman says, interrupting my thoughts.

"Dagger Four, up and ready," I state.

"Dagger Three, up and ready." Phoenix.

"Dagger Two, up and ready." Rooster.

What if I never get to see Rooster again? What if I never get to give him his ring back? What if I don't ever get to hear his voice again?