005. Broken Family

I sighed heavily and pretended that nothing was going on.

"Mas mabuting mag kanya-kanya na lang tayo dito sa bahay mga batugan." I forced myself to focus on my studies while hearing my parents having a conflicting conversation.

It's hurts. It hurts that you wish you could already find work and sustain your own tuition, but you can't. It hurts to see your family slowly falling apart because of money and pride.

"'Tangina sinisingil na ako ni Aling Tenten, baon na baon na tayo sa utang. Bakit kase hindi ka na maghanap ng ibang trabaho? Punyeta, mga batugan!" Today is my birthday, and this is the first greeting that I've received. My mother is yelling while there are broken glasses scattered on the floor. I looked at my father, and I saw how his eyes turned red because of anger.

"Sino bang umutang sa kanila? Hindi ba ikaw? Bakit ako ang magbabayad?!" sigaw n'ya kay mama. I just walked by their front and didn't mind their conflict. Sanay na ako. Pasok sa kaliwang tenga labas sa kanang tenga. Paulit-ulit.

I stood up beside the kitchen door and watched them exchanging spicy words while both fuming mad. I agree that having a broken family is the worst feeling that a child can experience. But do you know what's worst? It is when your family is complete but your parents are just staying in one house because they have a responsibility to you but not because of the love that they used to have.