Chapter 8

"Lonely, and out of place. When I don't have you with me." ~Corbyn Besson, Don't Wake Me Up

When I raise my voice, you call it yelling. I call it motivational speaking for the selective listener.

I snort at the comment I'd just read on some dumb post, and Corbyn looks over my shoulder, chuckling into my ear.

"It would have been a good counter back when we still lived with my mum," I tell him. "Me and my brother were such stupid kids."

Corbyn rests his head on my shoulder, pressing his face into my neck. "I have to go..."

"Again? You just came back!" I groan.

"It's for Don't Wake Me Up. I'm sorry, baby. After it's done, I promise you'll see me every fucking ssecond. You'll get so annoyed at me, I swear," Corbyn promises, his breath fanning my neck.

"When are you dropping it?"

"Not sure," he replies, moving to sit next to me on the couch. "But we're hoping soon. Jonas is going to tell us when."

I nod, watching sadly, and annoyed as he leaves for the studio once more.

~

Corbyn promised. That after Don't Wake Me Up, he'd be here all the time. He's not. He's working on another song with the boys.

I'm happy for him, I am! But it's only that I barely see him. We're getting distant again. I mean, he is a celebrity, and I get it. He's working, and he loves his work. Plus, he gets money from his work. I'm supportive, and I appreciate his music. A lot!

I just thought he loved me just as much. I'm not clingy. I swear I'm trying not to be! I just... I miss him so fucking much.

He says this song is amazing, and I know it is! It's so good! Let Me Down Easy, with beautiful vocals and music.

I do the only thing I think of. I go to Corbyn's room, to his PC. I know the password; he trusts me. I open the files he's shared with Daniel, Jonah, Zach, and Jack.

I play this one song, called Friends to Lovers. It's pretty great, and I'm excited for them to put it out. Although I do think it should be called Just Friends instead of Friends to Lovers. I'm a little more nervous for the second song I find.

Every day, every night I can only think of us.

On the coast, in July, when you thought you said too much.

Guess it don't always go like the stories we've been told.

'Cause you're gone, and you're fine, I'm laying here fucked up.

Ooh, I wonder

Did emotions fade with the summer,

Like an ocean wave, took me under.

And you left without a sound.

Baby, baby, tell me how.

How do you love somebody?

How do you love somebody else?

'Cause when you left I lost myself.

Baby, baby, tell me how...

I feel a tear drip down my cheek as the song ends, and the door of Corbyn's room opens.

"Izzy? Baby?" Corbyn asks as I turn his chair to him.

He looks at the computer screen, and looks back at me, seeing the tears falling down. He gives me a small sad smile, and engulfs me in a warm, warm hug.