Chapter 4

Peter's parents' home, Albany, New York. Saturday afternoon. March 19, 2005.

With only one phone in the cabin, located in the open concept first floor, it was no surprise that Neal didn't find the privacy to call back until Saturday afternoon. He filled Peter in on what they'd been doing.

Before Peter responded, he had to ask, "Neal, do you remember the name of the bar in St. Louis? The one where we met with that crew of thieves?"

"Yeah, Shirts and Skins. Why?"

"And the leader of that crew was named?"

"Roland Villiers. Peter, it's not like you to forget..." It didn't take Neal long to catch up. "Worried that I'm Henry?"

"We've gotta come up with a code phrase so I can be sure who I'm talking to. How many times did you call me yesterday?"

"Once. How many times did you think I called?"

"I was pretty sure it was Henry the second time. He probably hit redial to find out who you'd called and then tried to fake it. Did my story about Barclay having fleas get into his head?"

"Oh. That explains what was up with him. Yeah. I gotta hand it to you. That was a simple but brilliant move."

"Like I told you, simple can be powerful." Peter had gone out to the back porch to take the call. Elizabeth and Betty had gone shopping, and Luke had been watching a basketball game on TV. Now Luke opened the sliding door and sat on a chair next to Peter. The game must be over.

"Anyway, it's clear that Henry conspired to take charge of this vacation, getting me here and arranging activities, but I can't figure out his end goal. Like Angela said, he has an agenda he's ticking off, but I don't know why. And he's taking photos like crazy. Says he's going to add them to the album you gave me at Christmas."

Peter chuckled. "I'm surprised the camera survived the dunking in the lake."

Neal drew a sharp breath. "He didn't bring it to the lake. It's the only time he hasn't had it with him. Do you think he overturned the boat on purpose?"

"You weren't exaggerating, the rowboat really flipped completely over?"

"Upside down, yeah. Dumped all three of us in the lake."

At the comment about the rowboat flipping over, Luke stopped watching the birds flocking at the feeders and turned his attention to Peter, who nodded at his father and said to Neal, "That's about as stable a rowboat as you can get. I flipped it over once, to dunk my brother, and I had to put a lot of effort into it. It's hard to believe someone as knowledgeable about boats as Henry would flip it accidentally."

When the call was over, Luke said, "What's going on up at the cabin?"

If this had been a case at the FBI, by now Peter would want to talk it through with someone in the office. It wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion now. He didn't share his theories about what Henry was up to or why. He simply described what the cousins had been doing since arriving at the cabin.

Luke listened quietly for the most part. When Peter mentioned the board games the cousins had played Thursday and Friday night, Luke commented, "Those were your favorites."

Peter nodded in acknowledgement. He'd enjoyed those games as a kid. That's why they were always stocked in the cabin. They'd replaced the games many times over the years as pieces wore out or got lost. The boxes had looked new again on Thursday. "This morning they watched cartoons." He listed the ones Neal had mentioned.

"Saturday morning cartoons," Luke said. "Those were the ones you always watched. Every Saturday you were down in the basement, watching Speed Racer and those others."