when darkness falls

Hiccup's Pov

Snotlout and I were running from a pack of wild boars, when we came to a sharp cliff edge "what now genius?" Snotlout asked sarcastically "ah, weapons, we need weapons," I said but that wasn't very helpful right now. I was standing there looking for anything we could use to defend ourselves when Snotlout called "I got one" and tried to grab my metal leg.

"Snotlout, let go," I said surprised while bashing his helmet trying to get him off. What? I called dibs" he cried back. But the boars were advanced on us fast, he let go and we moved back as far as we could. When the boars were less than a meter away Lucas showed up from behind us and shot a blast of flame scaring them off.

We were back up in the air "okay, let's check that island off the list" Hiccup said. "Woah this is so exciting searching the seas for an island outpost of our own" Fishlegs cheered.

The twins started on one of their long annoying rants which Hiccup quickly put an end to. "Guys let's focus, we need to find an island that's safe, secure, and habitable for us and the dragons," Hiccup told us for the hundredth time "blah, blah, blah how many times do we have to hear that," Snotlout asked rudely. "Until we find what we're looking for," I snapped at him.

Lucas's Pov

We came up to an island which at first glance looked like the perfect one until the twins found a patches of blue flowers. "Aren't those?" Astrid started to ask "Blue Oleanders, deadly poisonous to dragons" Fishlegs gasped. "So we're not staying?" Tuffnut asked as her dragon gave an explosive sneeze and we took back to the sky. A little while later we saw an island "oh this island is beautiful, I even like the weird dots all over the..." Fishlegs started "those aren't dots!" Hiccup yelled, "there Whispering Death holes." I finished as the Whispering Deaths appeared. "Been there, done that" Snotlout called as we flew off.

We were back on the first island with the boars "my bad, I should have crossed this island off the list" Fishlegs called as we all ran to the cliff and jumped off the others onto their dragons, me into mid-air waiting for my open wings to catch the wind. When they did I caught up with the others.

The last island we found looked perfect "this looks pretty good" Hiccup called out. "Those cliffs could work" Astrid added "nice sightlines, easily defendable" I called. "And the location is great," Fishlegs joined. "It's perfect," Ruffnut said.

"Yeah too perfect, I'm just saying in the immortal words of the mighty Thor 'when something looks too perfect it probably sucks'" Tuffnut said dramatically. "Thor never said anything remotely like that" Hiccup sighed. "Oh really have you talked to him recently?" Tuff asked, causing me to giggle "no but..." Hiccup said before he was cut off.

"Because I have and I don't remember him mentioning you, look I just have a feeling about this place and you all know what happens when I get a feeling" Tuff said. "We ignore it" I laughed, getting a humoured look from Hiccup. "I'm telling you there will be something wrong with this place," he said as we ignored him.

Hiccup's Pov

After we landed I started explaining what needed to be done. "First thing we need to do is set up camp for the night, we need dry wood for a fire, we need fresh water and we need someone on traps." "Um, Hiccup," Lucas said as he tapped me on my shoulder.

"Umm, yes?" I said turning around to see the gang huddled a few feet away talking about the outpost. We walked over and tried to get their attention "um guys what we need is..." I started to say before I got cut off by Fishlegs "a place for rest, relaxation, and replenishment after a hard day's work, you're exactly right. Meatlug and I had been thinking and we came up with this design" he said and pulled the said design out of his bag.