Chapter Twelve: Why a bear?(Hunter Guild Arc)

"That was better coordination, but you guys are focusing too much on each other

"That was better coordination, but you guys are focusing too much on each other. Stella, you are a better fighter than Jack right now and you are more adept in mimics, but that doesn't mean you are the only means in winning. You rush to get back into the fight out of concern for your partner or out of your own pride, but you have to be patient," Ace lectured while bringing canteens to the tired warriors.

"Okay. I think I see...what you mean. I'm sorry...Jack, I did realize...that I got into your path...a couple of times." Stella took a heavy drink of water.

"It's okay...I...hesitated...a lot." Jack realised Ace was taking his time bringing the canteen to him. He tossed a rock to get his attention.

"Exactly. You noticed that I was slowed down, and you took action. Why are you always hesitating in battle? It is like you know someone is coming to save you and you hold on until then. You are afraid to overstep. Normally a team where someone is overeager and someone is over hesitant can work together, but it won't beat a team that is balanced and trusting. Luna, you were perfect. You exposed a lot of their faults clearly."

Luna gave Ace an enthusiastic thumbs up. The pair that was sparring with her received a taunting tongue stuck out.

"I understand. I have to lead some more."

"Not really. I do want more members to come into the team, and if we find someone with a lot of experience that wants to be the leader of the team then they might take the role, but ideally, I want one or both of you to command this band. In that case, I want to ask you guys. What makes a good leader?"

The breath returned to both of their bodies, but the look of confusion controlled their faces. Jack never really thought about it that much. How many leaders did he know? Rodriguez. Julius. Out of the two he would like to be like Julius. He was kind and fair. He had the trust of his followers. Rodriguez had the respect, maybe it was fear. Stella's mind wasn't thinking about examples. Her focus was on the silhouette of the person she would stand behind. They had to be intelligent. They had to be strong and have a strong sense of justice. Someone who she could trust. They both voiced their sentiments to a thinking Ace and an emotionless Luna.

"I wouldn't exactly say you are both wrong, but you are both wrong. What makes a good leader is the ability to lead." Ace smiled proudly while the vein in Stella's head emerged. Jack held her back, trying to figure out what their mentor meant before he could explain it.

"Isn't that obvious, Ace? Are you saying that all different styles are good leaders?" Jack's words caught Stella's attention.

"Exactly right my friend! If a leader is guiding his forces out of fear, then they are probably less likely to fear the enemy force. If it is a leader that is an excellent tactician, then team might believe in the plan and work extra hard. A kind leader can get others to follow them out of kindness and unrelenting loyalty. Now can you tell me where all these may fail?"