Chapter Seventeen

That evening, Anan decided to show Silius the map that Kevresh had brought. He spread it out in the sand just as her brother used to do and studied it closely. His finger traced the vast expanse of land between Tria and Vasda, outlining the lake that wasn't visible on the map.

By his calculations, they had barely reached the middle of the length of the lake which meant they had the same amount of riding left just to reach the end of the lake. From there they would have yet to travel around the rim of it and around the other side to reach the swamplands that enveloped Tria's borders.

"No wonder the king could not attack," Anan murmured, forgetting for a moment that it was not her brother kneeling over the map.

Silius looked at her curiously. "What did you say?"

"Nothing," Anan answered, refusing to meet his gaze. "Just something about a story I've heard."

"It will be at least another three New Moon Festivals before we reach Tara," Silius said, speaking in terms that she understood. "But that will be without any more delays."

Anan nodded, trying to fight the feeling of hopelessness that had been growing in her since the dust storm. She knew now that she had never been prepared for such a journey, and she never would have been. Even now she could barely comprehend the idea of what was left of their journey.

Her eyes roved the map, studying the distinct outline of Tria's borders, the words that told of the swamps, the borders of the country named Darea, and the uncertain borders of unnamed countries beyond. Staring at them, she began to think about how Silius had travelled to them before which meant he knew their customs and the things about them that she had always wondered.

"What is it like?" Anan questioned quietly, laying her finger on Tria and tracing a line to Darea and the other countries.

Silius was silent for a moment before he sat back and sighed. "It is different; very different. Both the country and the people, and yet we are as strange to them as they are to us."

"Where did you go first?"

"For a long time I wandered, trying to understand the customs and the people. I first travelled to Darea, but the people there were not understanding, and I was uncomfortable." Silius knew that Anan would not stop asking him questions until he had told her all that he had learned and done, so he continued.

 "I left and went to Tria where the people were much more accommodating. They were kind to me and taught me their ways. I worked on an orchard for a small family. They paid me through their teaching, and there I learned to read and write. I was comfortable, but after many months I grew restless again. I returned to Darea, and this time it was not as difficult to adjust to their ways. I traveled through the country, working at farms when I found a place for myself. I stayed at a large farm at the border, working for my board and saving a little bit of money to travel into the countries that surrounded Darea to the north. I had heard that they were not friendly to strangers, and I wanted to be prepared.

"It was another few months until I was ready to take my leave. I journeyed first to Bur, the smallest of the five countries in the north. I travelled with a caravan of merchants with goods to sell in the markets. When we arrived, I found a country similar to one of our own crowded cities. People bustling through the streets, urchin children asking for money; nobody trusting another person. It was too similar to what I had known before, and I left the caravan there to travel to the other countries surrounding Bur."

Anan was busily studying the map again, trying to picture the things he was describing. Silius laid his finger on a small country just above Darea, nearly blocking it from view. "These borders aren't exact," he said, "but they are close."