Chapter Six

The week had passed in a blur. Even the Moon Festival had been dull and lifeless for Valhanan. She had not asked to watch the fires being lit because the Vasdin would have been present. Anan had no desire to see the man the king had told her she was to marry. She had no desire to marry him. Or anyone for that matter.

Anan did not know when the marriage was to take place, but she suspected it had to be soon or else the king would not have told her. She had seen very little of her mother over the past week. They spoke very little to each other, and Anan was surprised at how quiet and brooding she was. She had expected her to be at her side every moment of the day, but even her lessons had been cancelled.

Perhaps that was why her mother wanted to see her. She was the kind of woman who would push on through disaster, and perhaps she would start the lessons again. Anan was not sure if that was the reason her mother wanted to see her, but she hoped that it was not. She did not wish to spend her last weeks of freedom learning her lessons.

Her mother was alone in her chambers, staring out through the window at the gardens below. She turned when she heard the door and smiled genuinely at her daughter. "Close the door, Anan," she said, motioning her forward.

Rarely did her mother call her by her short name; it meant that her mother was excited or felt especially protective. Anan walked forward slowly, uncertain which feeling was driving her mother. "Am I to start my lessons again?" she asked.

"No, dear, of course not. I have something very important to tell you." She took Anan's hands and pulled her down into the seat across from her. "I have found a way for you to be able to escape the marriage to the Vasdin."

Anan's eyes widened in shock, and she scooted forward eagerly. "You have?"

"Yes," her mother said assuredly, but her face turned serious. "It will be very difficult, and it will require you to use all of the courage inside of you."

"What do you mean?" she questioned. "You did not convince the king to break the engagement?"

"No, the king would not be convinced. Instead, you must go to Tria. You must leave the palace and go to Tara where my brother lives. He will protect you."

Anan was speechless as she stared into her mother's shimmering eyes. There was an excitement in them that she did not understand. "Leave?" she echoed.

Her mother sobered again as she saw her daughter's look. "I know it is difficult to comprehend, but it is the only way that you will not marry Jressik. You do not wish to marry him, do you?"

"No, no," Anan answered quickly. "But I do not understand. How can I leave?"

"Gersha knows of people in the city that can provide you with a horse, and there are merchants who might be persuaded to guide you to Tria. It will be a very difficult journey, but I know that you are strong enough. It is the only way."

Anan leaned back and stared at the turret opposite them. She could not believe what her mother was saying. She knew that she did not wish to marry the Vasdin, but her mind was spinning with the only other option. Leave the palace? Leave Vasda? How could she ever do such a thing?

"How would I get past the gates?"

"There are guards willing to accept payment for such a thing." Her mother smiled sadly. "It is not an honorable thing, but neither is a loveless marriage. I do not want such a thing for you. You are old enough to understand what happened between the king and me. Our marriage is not built on love; I do not want the same for you."

"I do not wish to marry against my will," Anan said, finding her voice again. "But I do not want to leave my home. It is too early. Could I ever even return?"