_thirteen_

Silence.

          . . .

          Why was everything so silent?

          The captain's cabin was a room in the ship you weren't all too knowledgeable of; a place you hardly visited let alone familiarized with. You were sat on a chair stiff staring at another, just as uncomfortable-looking as the one you currently occupied besides an empty captain's desk. Crow was standing staring out the window with his arms behind his back, not sparing a word since the moment you entered and was forced to sit. In all honesty you wondered if he even knew you were here, but the occasional glance over his shoulder was enough to tell you that he was at least aware that he wasn't alone.

          Zoning back in helped in realizing that not everything was absolutely silent, noting the way waves crashed against the vessel sailing through a cool afternoon breeze contrasted by the burning sun. There was a low hum of chatter outside as repairs soon picked up pace, the attack leaving a silence not many knew how to deal with. The captain getting angry wasn't exactly an unheard of occurrence, but what was unheard of was the fact that it happened because somebody on the crew so openly disrespected him.

          And what made it downright impossible was the fact that it was you who did it.

          The bracelet felt like hundred pound weights on your wrists as you gripped your knees in tense focus, burning a hole down the wood that you stared at for no particular reason. Voices and thoughts raced in your head, and it only continued to get louder as the seconds ticked.

          . . .

          . . .

          . . .

          "You wanna tell me what happened back there?" The captain's voice cut through your distraction like a spear through a beast's heart, tensing even more when his footsteps approached calmly. You saw in your peripheral him picking up a glass container filled with red liquid, clinking when his other hand picks up two metal cups.

          You didn't answer, not knowing whether it was out of fear or spite. He didn't seem too bothered by it, eyes snapping sideways when you saw his hand move. He only pushed one of the cups towards you.

          . . .

          "There's nothing to tell."

          You heard him sigh before it was quickly followed by a dull thud, seating himself behind his desk and leaning backwards. You think. You didn't dare look out of. . .well you were sure now that it was out fear.

          . . .

          "It's what took her from 'ya, wasn't it?"

          You felt your heart drop as your knuckles whiten from your tightening grip, quite sure that your tense stance was enough to make you start shaking. You didn't doubt that the captain noticed, and it was all but confirmed when he spoke again. "Is that a yes, dear?"

          . . .

          It took you a while to find your voice. But he was patient. "I. . .what made you say?"

          "Well," He pauses, finally finding it in you to send even just a glance. He was staring off into the distance. "I was just like you, back when I was younger. Saw myself in you. All that anger. . .and frustration. Only ever saw that in a man who lost something to a beast."

          . . .

          "Or someone." You glanced at him, but turned back to staring blankly at the floor when he turns in an attempt to hold eye contact with you. The sight of his eyepatch was almost eerie.