I still love you

„Yes?" Meredith said, looking up from her paper work towards the door where she had just heard a knocking sound coming from. And just a few seconds later the door opened and Nick appeared making her heart starting to beat faster as she suddenly had a really weird feeling in her stomach. But it was a good kind of weird that sent a smile to her lips.

"Hey." She said, standing up and walking a little closer over to him, suddenly feeling the desire to be as close to him as possible. To touch him, to tell him that she was sorry for what happened. "Hey, I just wanted to say thank you for the surgery. A triple transplant." Nick said, not being able to hide his smile too as he looked directly into her beautiful eyes.

"I should go."

"Or don't." Meredith said, not wanting him to leave just yet. She didn't want to make the same mistake again and just let him go. No, he couldn't go. "I need a new director for the residency program and you're the best teacher I know." She said, fidgeting with her fingers. If he would start working here they would see each other more often and could probably talk things through. But he was an amazing surgeon and how he had handled the residence and interns today showed her how amazing this job would fit him. He was the best person for the job.

"I'll think about it." He said, still standing in the doorframe. "I'm sorry." Meredith whispered quietly after they had stood in silence for a few seconds. "I know that I made a mistake and that I didn't put enough effort into it. And I regret it. Because the past six months were hell." She said, chuckling slightly since she felt a little uncomfortable all of the sudden. She didn't like admitting being wrong or having made a mistake. But it was true. The past months without him had been like hell. She had cried. She had been sad. And she had missed him more than she had ever thought she could miss someone.

Without saying anything he came a few steps closer until their faces were just a few inches apart. "I know." He then said, smiling at her softly. And as if they had been thinking the same thing at the same time their hands suddenly entwined themselves. She needed to be close to him, to feel him, she needed him to be here. "It was not entirely your fault. I didn't put enough effort into it as well." He then said.

She just nodded, looking down at their hands for a second. "I missed you." She mumbled, looking back up at him, her cheeks turning slightly red. "I missed you too." He replied quietly, letting his thumb caress the back of her hand. "Do you think-" she started but didn't know how to finish her sentence or if this even was the right thing to say in this situation.

"Yes." He replied, reading her mind and making her feel like a teenager again. She had butterflies in her stomach, her cheeks were all flushed and her heart was racing. "Good." She said, looking at their hands again. His hand felt warm and familiar as if it was some kind of connection between the two of them. Tears suddenly started to well up in her eyes. She had hurt him. She had hurt him because she had been hurt. But that hadn't been fair and she knew that now. She was still learning from her mistakes. He had said that he too thinks that at one point they could try again, they would be okay again.

Nick seemed to notice her sudden sadness since he just took another step towards her, coming even closer so that their chests were almost touching now. And then he let go of her hand but not because he wanted to walk away like she had thought but just to pull her into a hug. A warm and comforting hug. A hug that she had desired to feel for the past six months. A hug that she had dreamed of every single night.

"I still love you Meredith." She suddenly heard him say, making more tears run down her cheeks. "I still love you too Nick. So much." She replied, sniffling quietly before giggling. They would be okay again. It would probably take a while but in the end, everything would be fine. 

Hope you like this chapter =)