Chapter 5

"You're located in building 570, squad bay 82. Should you ever become lost or separated from your platoon..." First lieutenant Sanderson's words came from the other side of the door, where sixty-two boys had started their Black Friday; aka, the day they'd meet their training instructors and their lives would turn to living hells.

Samuel tugged at the immaculate shirt Rivers had ironed for him, and dried his hands against his trousers, exhaling slowly through parted lips. The following hours were going to be intense, to say the least.

Rivers glanced at him and gave him an imperceptible nod. His drill instructor hat cast a sinister shadow down his face, sharpening his nose and turning his eyes black, like the patent leather belt around his waist.

"Get ready, Axel," Ben whispered, stepping in front of sergeant Lopez.

"I will now introduce you to your drill instructors, who will be responsible to me for your training."

The door opened and the four Marines marched into the sunlight-flooded squad bay, standing in line to attention. The recruits sat crossed legged on the floor, their overwhelmed gazes upwards.

"Your drill instructors are your most visible example of what it means to be a Marine," Sanderson continued. "Their dedication to duty and willingness to sacrifice will ensure that you are well trained and able to continue the legacy of our corps into the future. Your senior drill instructor is Senior Drill Instructor Sergeant Mason."

Rivers took a step forward, his broad shoulders squared and his heel clanking against the linoleum floor.

"He can be easily identified by his campaign cover and black duty belt. Assisting your senior drill instructor are his drill instructors. They're easily identified by their campaign cover and green duty belt with a highly shine brass waist plate. I will now have your drill instructors..."

Keeping his head straight ahead, Samuel chanced a glance around the room. The crowd of childish faces sucked in every single word leaving first lieutenant Sanderson's mouth. In a handful of minutes, they would be in Samuel's hands for the following twelve weeks. He'd be turning them from boys to Marines.

How many wanted to be there for a genuine sense of duty? How many were college dropouts with nothing better to do? How many had been forced by their parents or local judges?

And how many were trying to prove something to themselves?

Their past didn't matter to Samuel or any of the other instructors. But how easily they would be able to break those boys depended greatly on the reason that had brought them to that stifling room.

It didn't take long for Samuel to be broken to pieces. It took even less to build himself into a new man. A real man.

"-each of you must also consider your responsibilities to them as recruits." First lieutenant Sanderson gave his back to the group and halted in front of Rivers, lifting his right arm in an L shape. "These recruits are entrusted in my care."

Samuel copied him, along with the other three instructors, and shouted at top of his lungs. "These recruits are entrusted in my care!"

"I will train them to the best of my abilities."

Another yell. "I will train them to the best of my abilities!"

"I will develop them into smartly disciplined, physically fit, basically trained Marines, thoroughly indoctrinated in the love of the corps and country."

The trainers screamed the creed after Sanderson.

"I will demand of them and demonstrate, by my own example, the highest standards of personal conduct, morality and professional skills."