Chapter 28

"I'm sorry to hear that, man. How's Izy coping?" Ben leaned his elbows on the table, his thumb scratching the sticker on the Pabst.

A burst of giddy laughter erupted from the bachelorette party two tables away, stealing Dennis' attention. "She's getting to terms with it," he said with his eyes still on the group, then returned to Ben. "Although, I'm not gonna lie, it's been rough."

Obviously, so rough that Leah's bosom had seemed the only way out.

"How are you coping?" Rivers took a sip of watery lager. Why did he insist on draft?

Dennis' head dropped, and he cupped the shaved back, scratching it before slumping against the chair. "It's fucking hard, man. I mean, I love Izy and seeing her doubting herself, her worth as a woman, is heartbreaking. I don't know what to say; she cries and screams at me..." Dennis took a deep breath and a quick sip. "I'm there for her, but she keeps pushing me away."

Right into Leah's lap, it seemed. Was this his way of justifying the attempted escapade?

"That's unfair of her. None of this is your fault." Ben shifted in his chair. A familiar guy with copper hair appeared behind him, the head of a table of four buzz-cut men.

Rivers glanced back at Ben. "It's not her fault, either."

"Of course, it ain't. But she should be more considerate of his feelings. After all, this situation impacts him, too."

"Dude, Izy has every right to be irrational about this." Rivers scoffed. "Nothing will ever change for her, while Denny can decide to walk off and find someone who'll have his kids."

"I'm not walking off!" Dennis' huffy gaze jumped on Rivers. "I love my wife. I made a commitment—in health and sickness."

Rivers kept his eyes on Dennis, his staring, his only reply for a second too long. Dennis' brows twitched as his head shook subtly, like a comment to their silent conversation. He knew Rivers knew. "I'm not going anywhere."

Physical proximity didn't mean emotional vicinity. Rivers broke his gaze and took a sip. Copper Guy had moved to the counter, pushing between a lanky boy in his late teens and a curly blonde.

Maybe he was being too harsh on Dennis. It was easy to do moronic things in the heat of the moment. Leah was probably Dennis' safest port because he trusted her judgment and she was a fantastic friend. How would he know about her crush, after all?

"—and give it some time. You both need to adjust to this new reality and plan your future accordingly." With his tilted head and condescending look, Ben was a pad and fountain pen away from a shrink.

Dennis nodded. "We've mentioned adoption." The words came out like a long-kept confession.

Rivers raised his glass. "I endorse that."

Dennis' face lost some of the tension, leaving space to a weak smile. "Yeah, I thought you might."

"You OK with a kid that's not yours?" Is burger fine instead of steak? Same tone.

River pushed his pint on the sticky table. "Dude! Are you fucking kidding me right now?"

Ben's complete lack of social awareness oozed from his gape. He frowned at Rivers like Marty trying to work out one point twenty-one gigawatts. "D'you mean?"

"Adopted children are not second hand or,"—Rivers quoted—"lower quality."

"Don't twist my words, Rivs. For some men, DNA is a deal breaker, and there's nothing wrong with it. It's a choice. Adoption is great and honorable, but still not for everyone."