Chapter 21

The two and a half hours that took to drive to Cedar City passed in a blur, like the dark desert rushing at eighty miles per hour outside the window. When even the Beastie Boys had become grating, Rivers had switched switched to the traffic channel only to busy his mind with background noise he wouldn't listen to.

His thumb had absorbed most of the hit. Tender red flesh surrounded his nail, with tiny pools of blood staining the skin.

How could he be so fucking stupid? After what had happened with Eddie, he'd promised himself he'd never put himself in danger again, and now he'd broken his only one rule. With those gorgeous teary green eyes full of fear and lips as juicy as honeydew, Samuel had tricked him into folding. Except Samuel wasn't scared, only a self-hating coward.

Would he have the balls to snitch? Who would believe him, anyway? All the reasons Ben hated Rivers' guts were his biggest alibi. And how could Samuel point the finger without incriminating himself?

A dangling traffic light turned red, and Rivers slammed on the brake, stopping just before the white line. West College Avenue ran across from him. He'd missed his turn. Checking left and right in the deserted road, Rivers did a U turn and drove back down Main, taking a left on 200 E Street, speeding at fifty on a forty limit. He couldn't get to Eddie fast enough.

When the red brick warehouse came into view, Rivers gave his thumb a truce. A moment later, he'd park the pickup and, slinging his backpack over his shoulder, he slammed the door.

A golden bell caught the light from the street lamps; River pressed it, but nothing happened. Would Eddie ever finish fixing that goddamn place? With the side of his fist, he banged against the teal metal door.

"Coming!" Eddie's voice seeped from the distance.

Rivers took a step back, ruffling his hair on top of his head.

When Eddie appeared in front of him, most of Rivers' frustration vanished. That familiar smile welcomed him more than any word ever could. Eddie's sharp canines and timeless features gave him a vampire look, so in contrast with the kindness in his hazel eyes, now glimmering as they took in Rivers.

"Come on in."

He stepped inside, abandoning his backpack on the floor.

As soon as the door shut, Eddie squeezed him into a cinnamon hold. "Glad you made it."

Rivers closed his eyes, his chin brushing Eddie's platinum hair. "Me too." He'd never been so relieved to see him.

The hug ended a second too early. Hopefully, there would be plenty in the next two days.

Following Eddie, Rivers walked out of the foyer. The placed had gone through a tremendous improvement since January—eggshell wood slats covered half of the walls that were once all gray bricks, and rough hardwood floor replaced the cold cement. A sage 50s kitchen with mismatched multicolored chairs and table brightened the space. In the living area, a massive mustard sofa over a fluffy white carpet faced a brick fireplace. The most Edward touch was the tartan hanging chair and the few carton boxes still scattered at the edge of the huge open plan.

Rivers whistled. "Not bad..."

"Thanks." Eddie's hands sunk in the back pockets of his short tan chinos. "It's almost how I envisioned it."

"I love it. It's as whimsical as you."

Eddie simpered and shook his head. "I'll take it as a compliment."

"Oh, a hundred percent."

With another smile, Eddie walked to the kitchen. "So, how was your drive?"

"Smooth." Rivers folded his arms over his chest.