CHAPTER SIX (PART-1)

Chapter 6

Jamie stared stupidly at the masked child for a few seconds, then frantically slammed the door shut as if concealing a convicted felon.

"How the bloody hell did you get in here?" she demanded.

The toddler giggled, "You're the one who let me in, silly."

Jamie blinked, "What, I left the door unlocked when I went- -?"

The child spoke a patronising tone, "You never were the brightest light in the chandelier, were you Jamie? You forced my hand, forced me to reveal myself, as you were putting yourself in serious jeopardy. I couldn't allow that. Think back, I've talked to you once already, remember?"

The monotone a-gender voice was definitely familiar; very quickly it came to her with a jolt, "At the sink, while I was cutting myself with the glass. But I didn't see you, it was...like you were talking inside me."

"Ding ding ding, atta girl! Looks like there's hope for you yet." The toddler gave her a thumbs-up. Jamie stared numbly.

"Who the hell are you? No, scratch that, WHAT the hell are you?"

"My name is Truth," the child answered casually, "Your truth, that is." Jamie stared blankly. The toddler titled its wolf-masked head.

"Oh, was that one too on the nose for you? Ok, I'll give myself a human name, shall I? Perhaps that'll get you to trust me, then we can form some kind of empathetic bond. How 'bout...Trudy! Yes, that's similar, that'll do. Trudy it is. I am Trudy. Now let's get down to business, shall we?"

Jamie examined Trudy sharply. She'd known instantly this was no child; its demeanour and intelligence gave that away. She could see no facial details; the wolf mask fully covered them. The exposed skin of its arms and shins was a Caucasian white. With a jolt, Jamie noticed there were no signs of creases or folds on the blankets Trudy sat on, nor did the bed make a sound as Trudy shifted about, rocking its heels. It was like it wasn't there.

"Does that name mean you're a girl?" asked Jamie, trying to wrong-foot it.

Trudy giggled, "Course not, silly. I'm neither a girl or a boy. Why would I need a gender? I can't reproduce other life forms."

"You didn't answer my question," Jamie reminded it sharply, "What are you? A figment of my imagination or something? Oh, tell me I haven't reached that stage. Tell me I haven't crossed that threshold of insanity."

"Is that what you think I am? Why don't you tell me?" Trudy winked.

This rotten little brat is so damned infuriating. Couldn't I have thought up some hot chick with big boobs instead? Jamie thought in frustration.

"I heard that," Trudy remarked airily, showing little to no emotion, "Interesting how sometimes you really come across like such a dirty old man."

Jamie picked up a pink ball of yarn from the floor and tossed it at where Trudy sat. It passed through Trudy's lap, rendering Trudy temporarily transparent, and rolled across the bed to slide down onto the floor with a soft thud.

Trudy sighed and shook its wolf-masked head, "Was that little test really so necessary? I never claimed to be a living breathing human. Also your figment theory is warm but not in boiling lava territory. Guess again?"

"Are you a ghost or something?" Jamie questioned with a raised eyebrow.

Trudy giggled, "Course not, silly. Everyone knows ghosts aren't real."