A white petal

NOTES:
im so bad at writing I'm sorry 😟

She opened her phone to see the fated song- ‘Composing the Future’. Her finger pressed the play button.

And with that, she was standing in a realm of emptiness- no one there but Miku...

And Mizuki?

Mafuyu certainly wasn’t expecting that- she only thought she’d see Miku. But it wasn’t too surprising to see them. It wasn’t like her mother was there.
“Oh, hey, Mafuyu!” Mizuki grabbed Miku’s hand and dragged her over to where Mafuyu was.
“Hi.” she replied.
“Hello, Mafuyu.” Miku smiled. She was always happy to see the purple haired girl- just as she always dropped by

Mafuyu's Mother wanted something from Mafuyu so she left the Sekai.

"Did you did your Homework?" asked her mother.

"Yes, Mother" she replied and put on the same old fake smile

Her mother left her room and Mafuyu stared at the door.

Suddenly, Mafuyu coughed.
But Mafuyu continued staring.

Her chest aches. She doesn’t know why.

She saw a flower petal on the floor. Mafuyu takes the flower petal in her hand to scan it.

It’s from a carnation…

A white carnation.

Weird, where did it come from?

By a reasonable short train of thoughts, Mafuyu decided to believe that the petal somehow came from outside and she only noticed it now after being interrupted by her own cough.

She reached for the bottle of water next to her, drank the water. She was no stranger to pain and they would be gone after a while.

Despite the unusual symptoms, she ignores them.

Next time the petal comes, it comes in two. And this time Mafuyu can’t simply ignore it or think they came from outside because with the same white color, after another rough cough, she saw one petal fall on her lap and felt the second one get stuck in her mouth.

It was night outside. However, with only the lights from the monitors on her desk she could see not only white, but a little of red. A red that was not part of the natural color of the petal like the white color, but her own blood.

My blood? Am I… bleeding?

When she finally notices where this is going she snaps back to her senses, Mafuyu shakes her head and rubs the blood on the corner of her lips before turning her attention back to the fact that not only blood came out from her mouth, but petals .

She might be dying, but what in the world–

She takes her phone and turns on the torch mode, which makes her wince by the sudden brightness, while holding one of the petals on her other hand. She squeezes her eyes and  has to blink way too many times to be able to face the brightness properly.

This… came out of my mouth?

A white petal, slightly stained with red.

Mafuyu furrows her eyebrows. She tries to feel inside her mouth with her tongue, but there are no cuts in there.

With the same arm her hand is holding her phone, she rubs her eyes again. Maybe she finally reached the point of hallucination.

But the petals , blood and pain remained there.

Without the slightest clue of what could be happening, Mafuyu turns off the light from her phone, puts the things aside and rolls the chair closer to her keyboard and monitor.

“Maybe I can find something online…”

“Hm… "Coughing out blood and petals”. Enter.”

“Coughing out blood and petals? You probably have Hanahaki disease!”

“Huh? “Hanahaki?”All of her first results had that same word.

Mafuyu opens another tab and searches specifically for “Hanahaki disease”.

“Hm… “Hanahaki disease is an illness born from unrequited love.””

Unrequited love?

What?

“It may sound ridiculous and many don’t know or don’t believe that it exists, but it might be deadly if not treated.”

“It might go unnoticed at the beginning by its misleading symptoms such as: coughing, shortness of breath, chest pain and in some cases even fever. Many might get a wrong diagnosis from a doctor until they finally reach the point of coughing out blood and petals. That means the flowers born from the person’s feelings are already blooming in their lungs and will keep growing until the flowers suffocate their host to death and make them drown in their own blood.”

A shiver ran down Mafuyu’s spine.