Part 2

Lydia snuggled up with Beaux with her favorite plush blanket on her oversized couch sipping hot cocoa as she listened to the crackling wood in the fireplace. It was nine o'clock, the kids were asleep, and she finally had peace and quiet and could relax but her sister's words echoed in her head loudly. Did Alec not appreciate her? She always took her sister's advice with a grain of salt because she's always been the "glass is half empty kind of gal" and it was even worse now that she was dealing with the sting of a fresh divorce. Lydia sighed deeply to herself as her eyes wandered to the family photographs perfectly placed around the living room. She loved her family. She loved her routine.

When they got married, her and Alec had decided that she would take the traditional role in managing the household, it didn't mean that Alec wouldn't help from time to time, nor did it mean that she couldn't pursue her professional goals or things outside of the household, but she knew that organization wasn't really his strong suit. It was hers and with three very busy kids, organization was crucial. Her phone chimed. It was an alert from the family calendar. 10:30 am Christmas Wonderland Play date for Lily. She smiled to herself as she brought her mug to her lips, there was no way that he could manage this she thought. Her thoughts were interrupted with the front door chime and Beaux sprang into action to greet Alec at the front door.

"That's a good boy," Alec said roughly greeting Beaux, "hey babe," he called from the foyer, "how was your day?"

"It was good," she sighed, "exhausting if I'm being honest. I barely made it to the girls piano lessons in time" she said meeting his eyes as he entered the living room, "How was yours?"

"Hectic. Just going over post marketing plans to make sure that after the launch sales continue to increase," Alec said plopping down on the couch, "Oh and get this Wesley wants to do a last-minute launch party on Christmas eve for the game release as a way to celebrate and congratulate everyone for their hard work."

"That sounds nice, but you did tell him you wouldn't be able to make it right?" Lydia said quickly sitting up, "I mean we have a lot going on Christmas eve."

"I told him I would talk to you about it."

"Well, you already know my answer," she said taking another sip from her mug.

"Well hold on," he said angling his body towards her, "what if we got my parents to take the kids home after the recital and we head to the office to make an appearance—"

"An appearance?" Lydia interrupted with a chuckle, "As if you could ever go anywhere and just make an appearance."

Alec chuckled shamelessly. He knew that sometimes his extroverted personality would get him into trouble especially when he would over commit.

"I promise. We will be in and out," he said reaching for her hand, and planting a kiss on it, "Now where's my hot cocoa," he smiled.

"I left you some on the stove," she hesitantly smiled back.

She wanted to believe Alec, but she knew that any type of party and alcohol at his job was always a recipe for disaster and it wouldn't be the first time that Alec wouldn't be able to keep his promise. She sighed to herself as Alec made his way to the kitchen for some cocoa. Lydia reached for her phone and scrolled through her messages until she stumbled across a message from Megan and quickly sent her reply.

Hey. Sorry for the late text, but I don't think we will be able to make the Christmas party. Alec has a last-minute launch party Christmas Eve. It's just going to be hectic. Sorry

Alec reemerged from the kitchen with his holiday mug filled with hot cocoa and triumphantly sat down on the couch beside Lydia.

"Who were you texting?" he asked taking a sip of his cocoa.

"Oh, I just sent a text to Megan," she said placing it back on the armrest, "Just a precaution."

"Precaution?" he said raising his eyebrow, "For what?"

"Well it's just in case we run behind schedule that's all. You know how I don't like flaking."

"Well, we're not going to flake," he said defensively, "Besides, I thought you didn't want to go anyway and that it was just going to be a quick drop in," he said placing his mug on the coffee table.

"Yea, but even so Alec we did RSVP weeks ago and its like a white elephant gift exchange thing,"  she said quickly, "at least I'm giving her a heads up just in case we don't make it, it gives her time to get a few extra gifts so—"

"Okay Lydia," he said abruptly standing up.

"Now what?"

"It's nothing," he said shaking his head, "but I just feel lately you've been losing faith in me."

"It's not that honey," she sighed, "I'm not losing faith in you. It's just--I know how busy you are and for the past few months its been really hard for you to say no to things even though I have stuff planned and—"

"I don't do it on purpose Lydia. I'm launching my first major game!" he exclaimed, "This is big for me."

"No, I know that Alec," she said softly.

"And I'm doing this for us! You don't think it's been killing me not to be here with you and the kids?"

"I'm not saying that Alec," she said putting her mug on the snowflake coaster on the glass coffee table, adjacent to Alec's uncoastered mug, "I'm just saying that there's been instances, this one included when I am the last to know about something and I have to fit it into our already busy schedule."

"And you know what," he paused, "I am really sorry about that but I know these sacrifices that I am making now will pay off in the long run and I'll be able to have more leisure time with you and the kids."

"I don't doubt that," she said," I just wish you could see things from my perspective too and how devastating it is for me to tell that kids that you cant make it to what ever we are doing or the fact that I rarely get invites for us to things anymore because I always have to cancel. It's embarrassing."

"I'm sorry Liddie," his voice was softer now and more understanding, "you know how hard it is for me to say no especially since I'm trying to impress Wesley so I can get this promotion and honestly sometimes I forget we have stuff planned or that the kids have stuff going on—"

"That's because you refuse to look at the family calendar!" she exclaimed, "I told you to sync it to your phone but its also on the chalkboard in the kitchen!"

"You're right, there's no excuse but you do realize that you create how busy you are," he said hesitantly.

"Meaning?" she said crossing her arms.

"I mean like I am actually busy because of work."

"Okay," her voice trailed, "You don't think that running a household isn't work?"

"That's not what I am saying," he said calmly, "but I also feel that you have this obsessive need to sign our kids up for every single activity and it makes things chaotic. So, if you would just cut back --"

"That's that not true," she snapped, "and excuse me for wanting them to explore different activities."

"See, that's what I 'm saying you want them to do it. Do you ever ask if they want to do it? I mean Gaby hates piano!"

"Gaby loves piano!" her lips pursed tightly together, "And how would you even know? You haven't taken them to lessons in months."

"Okay," he said shaking his head in defeat, "You're right. I don't know, but what I do know is that I don't want to argue. All I'm saying is that I feel that everything has just been a little overscheduled lately and I am doing my best to meet deadlines and be here."

"I don't want to argue either Alec," she said running her fingers through her hair in frustration, "Let's just go to bed. We both seem exhausted," she said standing, "And Lily has the winter wonderland thing in the morning and I'm running carpool."

"Yea, let's get some rest," he sighed, reaching for the mugs, "I got this."

"Thanks," she said softly.