godspeed your love

Elvis never could stand driving in a car without the radio blasting

Elvis never could stand driving in a car without the radio blasting. After the show, not caring how his hair ended up, he rolled the windows down, singing along to the song "Unchained Melody" by Les Baxter. You would think that after a long night of performing that the man would grow tired of using his voice, but he was no better than a songbird. After the song had ended and the radio announcer began playing something else, Elvis reached out, turning the volume down on the radio. "I would love to perform that song one day. Whatcha think?" He turned his head, looking at you out of the corner of his eye before turning back towards the dark road. It was a hot spring night in Arkansas, and the wind felt good on your cheeks. You had tried tucking your hair behind your ears to keep it out of your face, but had given up after the first ten minutes of the drive. Elvis kept looking over at you, his cheeks a soft pink as he admired your beauty. You always looked so well kept- always had. You were raised up on good Southern values, and always took extra care in your appearance. Even before you started dating Elvis, you had been the belle of your school, which was probably why the ebony haired boy was always stuck to your side like glue. He had been too scared to let you out of his sight, even with the title of "best friend", he never did like other boys around you. Elvis thought you were absolutely gorgeous like this. Your hair mussed, your eyes alight with excitement and adventure. You were just as high on the adrenaline as he was after the show, him having you sit on the stairs of the stage after the last little incident from the Fairgrounds tour. You preferred being down in the crowd so that you could have a better viewpoint of your beau. Alas, Elvis was extra strict in his protection over you after everything that had happened.

"I think you'd sound wonderful, Elvis. Really! All it needs is a little more soul, and you've got plenty of that." He smiled widely, lifting up in the seat so that he could get a good look at the rearview mirror to make sure that Scotty and Bill were following close behind. You turned your head too, searching for their headlights in the distance. Once he had made sure that his bandmates hadn't gotten lost on one of the backroads, he turned back to face the empty road. "The building orchestra is beautiful, but I'd want to keep it a lil' more simple. Just the piano- at least until the buildup of the song. If I sing it with enough heart, I don't need anythin' fancy like that." You nodded, leaning your head back against the cushioned headrest of his pink Cadillac. "A choir." You hummed out, slipping your heels off so that you could tuck your feet underneath yourself, turning to face him with a wide grin. He sounded the best when he stuck to his roots. Even though you liked everything he ever sang, you felt like the Colonel was beginning to pull him in a new direction. He sounded godly when it was just him, Bill and Scotty- that rhythm guitar of Elvis's shining through. His eyes quickly widened as he removed one of his hands from the wheel, snapping a few times before pointing at you excitedly. "I could give it more of a gospel feel. Jesus, baby! I'm marryin' a genius." You felt your cheeks flush a bright red, and you were quick to stare down at your lap. Even after the first night that the two of you had spent together, marriage had been something that had been discussed. Some would call the two of you crazy for moving so fast in your relationship. After knowing Elvis for so long, you knew what kind of a person he was. You were certain that he was the person for you, and he seemed even more convinced. He had been fully dedicated to you since day one.