godspeed your love

You slowly stood up on shaky legs, completely barefoot and grass stained

You slowly stood up on shaky legs, completely barefoot and grass stained. Elvis looked even worse than you did. Even his hair had mud in it. He was quick to reach out for your hand once he had stood up, not even bothering to brush himself off before he pressed your small hand against his chest. His heart was still beating a mile a minute, his pulse pressing hard against your palm. "I never want to go through anythin' like that again," Scotty and Bill started walking back to the car, realizing that whatever Elvis was currently going through, he definitely didn't want them hanging around and listening to his vulnerability. The second that they were far enough away his bottom lip began to quiver. "I-I thought you were gonna die." His voice cracked as he tried to hold back the tears. "I've never felt like that in my entire life." Your boyfriend didn't break down very often, but when he did it was only around you. You were the only one permitted to see him like this.

"I thought I was gonna die too..." The fire was starting to die down, but you knew that the front seats were completely scorched by now. If you had been in that car just a minute more, there was no way you wouldn't have been burned up by the fire. Either that or from smoke inhalation. Both of those possibilities would have been a horribly painful way to go, and the thought of Elvis having to see that happen to you? God, you had both been through something terribly traumatic. "Let's get home, alright?" Graceland. Home. You wanted to go home and crawl into bed with Elvis and hold him as tightly as your bodies would allow. "Yeah, let's do that honey." Elvis started to walk to the car, but paused as he noticed that you weren't wearing any shoes. He looked down at your dirt stained feet, biting down on his lower lip. Without saying a word he bent down, scooping you up into his arms so that he could carry you across the dirt and grass to the other car. He helped you inside, scooting in next to you in the back. "I'll pay to have your car cleaned, Bill. Don't mind the mess." You two were absolutely filthy, and you were sure that the seats would look like a crime scene by the time that the two of you were back home. The boys brushed it off quickly, Scotty turning around in the passenger side seat to face the both of you. "It was already pretty filthy back there anyways, isn't that right, Bill? After what the both of you went through, don't even worry about it."

Most people would be surprised to learn that Elvis was a very polite and well mannered person. He was raised in a Southern Christian household, and he upheld those values, even with all of his newfound fame. He might have been five seconds away from a mental breakdown, but that didn't mean he didn't value his friend's belongings.

The four of you were only ten minutes into the drive, but your anxiety was mounting all over again. You weren't sure how you were supposed to be in a car after everything that just happened. You had at least an hour and a half left into the drive, and you didn't think you could mentally handle it. Elvis noticed your quivering, and was quick to look down at you, his eyes wide with worry. "B-Bill? Change of plans. The airport is about ten minutes from here. Can you drop us off?" The car plummeted into silence as the boys tried to grasp just what their bandmate was trying to say. "It'll take you even longer to get home by plane than it would by car. Not to mention that your girl doesn't have shoes..." Elvis shook his head, quickly turning down the offer. "I'll make somethin' happen. I can't be in a car right now. My nerves are shot." Your heart warmed as you realized that he was trying to blame this on his own feelings, and not yours. He knew how nervous you got about feeling like a burden or a bother. "I'm sorry, darlin. You're okay with that, right?" He looked down at you, raising an eyebrow. For a second all you could do was smile at him, and he returned it, flashing you a knowing wink. You quickly nodded your head, excited to get the hell out of the car.