04. Grave

They were very sad and began to say to him one after the other, "Surely you don't mean me, Lord?"

♥♥♥

Ryuk entered Misa's room that evening. Though the girl hadn't regained all her memories of being the Second Kira, the death god quickly changed that fact. After he touched her with his notebook, she felt all her memories return instantly.

Misa's vision snapped up, and she gazed at Ryuk. "W-What are you doing here?" she said, feeling small in his presence. She had never gotten used to Ryuk entirely, for his energy was different from Rem's. His mere presence seemed to suck the joy out; Rem radiated kindness and gentleness in contrast.

Ryuk grunted. "Light said he found your glasses outside HQ. He told me to bring them back to you, but I'm not really in the mood. Think you could fetch them?"

Glasses? Light wouldn't bother Ryuk over something so trivial, that much she knew. But now that she looked closer, she saw that Ryuk's intent was much hungrier than she'd first noticed. His eyes flashed red, almost dangerously.

"Right," she said slowly. "I'll go out and get them," she said. "Thanks for reminding me, Ryuk! You're such a sweetie."

"Sweetie? Heh," the death god snorted. "You're welcome. Just remember, they're pretty expensive. Wouldn't wanna lose them again."

With this, a haze covered the room. Her vision and head dipped in and out of reality, and her eyes saw red tinged all across the room. Above the shinigami's head rested the name リューク, the characters for Ryuk.

"Oh," she mumbled, her mind still dazed. She immediately understood what needed to be done. She had to get a real name to Light as quickly as possible.

L, the sweet man who liked the color white and blushed whenever she startled him, was going to die. And it was her hand over Light's that would wield the knife.

♕♕♕

"Absolutely not!" Chief Yagami roared. L clenched the edge of his seat with his toes, steeling himself for the outburst. "Ryuzaki, you plan to use the Death Note in an execution, and you didn't even contact us about this?"

"I don't care what country," L replied, eyes on the screen. I have two hours left to act. "Let's contact them. There shouldn't be a problem if we're upfront about it."

"No way," Aizawa agreed, his face twisted into a tight scowl. "We don't need to do that – the notebook's power is clearly real!"

"Yeah, and who's going to write the name?" young Matsuda replied. "Once you start, you have to write names in it every thirteen days continuously, or you'll die!"

Remain calm. "We'll have a criminal scheduled for execution within thirteen days write down the name. The deal will be that his death sentence will be pardoned if he lives past thirteen days."

Matsuda started. "But –"

"We're very close." L's voice shook the room. "If we can figure this out, the entire case will be solved. Now, let me finish, Matsuda."

There was no -san on the end of the words. L's heart was roaring in his ears, and he glanced at Light's carefully-crafted neutral expression. "I have reason to believe this rule is false. You may read the full report –" he snapped, and Watari brought the packet to him – "after the experiments. Am I clear?"

A long silence sat in the room. Then Chief Yagami spoke. "Ryuzaki, you still suspect my son."

"I do," L said. "And I will demonstrate to you that he is Kira." Swallowing, he looked back. "If you wish, I will put my own life on the line. If the thirteen-day rule comes to pass...you may jail me yourselves."

His eyes flickered to Watari's. His father was prepared that this could happen someday. L stared at them. "That is how certain I am that our case hinges on this trial."

Watari cleared his throat. "I came down here for a second reason, as well. The Japanese government has agreed to let us test the notebook. After Higuchi's arrest, they are anxious to bring this case to a close. But it must be conducted in secret."

L nodded firmly. That was precisely what he'd been hoping for from Watari. Chief Yagami watched as all eyes flickered to him. Looks of pity, no matter whose side they were on. This must be the most challenging thing he'd ever had to agree to.

Finally, Yagami spoke. "What will be done with Light and Misa until then?"

"They will be confined," L said, "for as long as it will take for these experiments to conclude."

A long silence settled over the group. Light finally spoke. "Hold on, Ryuzaki. Can I at least get some work done while I'm in there? Exams are coming up, after all, and I need to study."

He will sneak a piece of the Death Note into his quarters. "Perhaps," L said, "since you are a college student, that would be good for your mind. However, I will review those worksheets before you take them in. And there is to be nothing that looks, feels, or even smells like a Death Note."

"That's fine. Actually, it's better if you do that. And can I bring the shinigami's eraser?"

L bit the inside of his cheek again. "That, too, will be tested. Denied."

Light didn't move from his spot. "Then, one way or another, this case will end in fourteen days." He stood. "I don't see why not."

"But...to sacrifice a life..." Matsuda sputtered.

"Lives have already been sacrificed," L pointed out, surprising himself with the gentleness in his tone. "Not to mention, these criminals voluntarily consented." He watched as the faces around him melted into dismay...

And then, resignation. "Very well," Chief Yagami said. "But I will hold you to your word."

"I expect it to be so," L said. "Let us prepare, then."

~~~

Did you know...

- I have a more favorable view of L's more morally-questionable actions than most. The only thing I think was unjustified was the prolonged torture of Misa for a confession, especially since in Japan, confessions under duress are inadmissible in court.

- I reject the idea that L didn't care about Light and/or Misa. The creator said so, but as we have learned from other shows, creators are not always correct about their characters.

Tell me what you think...

- Do you think L's actions in this instance are justified? Why or why not?

- How might Light use the eraser to his advantage, since he won't have it in confinement?