from a mile away

'well,' bruce thinks, 'welcome back to my mind. yesterday we found out i'm gay as fuck for my fake boyfriend!'

but you cant blame him, he looks so good. his long hair and curls accent his muscles on his body somehow, and now, bruce is on facetime with him.

"why are you hiding?" bruce laughs, and vance just scoffs. then, a head pops out from the side of the screen and he's met with short haired vance hopper.

"holy shittt." he grins, "you look amazing! all the girls at school are gonna want you now babe. i'm gonna have to throw some punches." bruce jokes, and there's a heat in his stomach that he can't deny as butterflies.

the new hair makes his eyes pop, and you now can see his neck better which makes bruce sweat with the new sight. "oh my gosh when we kiss now i get to hold a neck and not eight pounds of hair!"

"shut up idiot."
"your idiot." bruce teases and the facetime ends.
-
vance strolls into school and girls and guys look at him like he's a new kid completely. he just gives a glare and continues on, approaching slowly and surprising bruce with two arms around his waist and a kiss to the top of his head.

"i cant believe how handsome you are what the fuck?" bruce gawks, and the blonds cheeks go a soft pink. getting compliments from bruce should be normal by now, especially since they always do it to eachother though vance always says he hates doing it.

plot twist, he likes seeing bruce's flustered face.

vance presses a kiss to bruce's soft lips and just walks away, enjoying the lingering feeling of bruce's hand on his neck. the contact was nice.

not in a weird way though. his love language was physical touch. not that this was love or anything!

they find themselves in bio, being lab partners as usual. they laugh to themselves in the back of the room, vance occasionally raising his voice to secure his points on the experiment. shushing comes from some other students in the room, but the majority of the class is talking and laughing like they are so what's the point in being quiet?

"there were so many people staring at you in the halls today!" bruce cries, clearly annoyed. vance on the other hand, is writing down the points they had been talking about.

"what, you jealous, bruce yamada?" the blond teases, winking at him. he was right, he was getting loads of stares, but he didn't mind the positive attention for once.

"maybe i am, vance hopper." he replies, and the bell rings and bruce laughs as he grabs his bag and runs off. "hurry up! lets go to mcdonald's for lunch!"

"we aren't eating that crap you dumbass? did all the baseballs getting thrown at your head finally get to you?" he yells back, shoving his shit into his bag as the rest of his class rushes out of the classroom.

vance finalllyyy finds bruce, and they head off to the blonds gorgeous car.

as vance said, they didn't go to mcdonald's. they went to wendy's instead.

"what the shit is a poutine?" vance asks, and the ravenette giggles to himself.

"it's fries with gravy and cheese on top!"
"that sounds gross. like throw up kind of gross. yea i'll just get a double baconator meal please?" he says to the woman on the other side. bruce on the other hand, orders a large poutine and iced tea.

"come on. just take a damn bite you pussy!" bruce laughs, shoving a fork with three fries, gravy, and a cheese curd on top in front of him. the blond couldn't lie! it smelt really good. so finally, after asking and asking, he takes the bite.

"can we switch?" he asks, eyes wide at the surprising taste. bruce shakes his head and takes back his fork, laughing as vance asks for a few more bites. the clock flashes on his screen, showing that they had ten minutes left to lunch. this makes the two continue to shovel food into their faces, but vance was always eyeing that poutine.

bruce gave in, of course! he's in love with the guy for lord sake, and he took vance's last two bites of his burger. needless to say, he didn't really mind the change, especially because vance looked so happy.

"i don't wanna go back to class." bruce complains, and in response, all he gets is a rev of the engine. it's a question, asking if he wants to go on a drive instead, and of course, he said yes.
-

bruce has never skipped a class before! sure a few absences and late slips but never purposefully. he likes school. hes popular, he has lots of friends, and a boyfriend, what more could he ask for?

the two zoom down the highway, vances music on blast with the windows down because it was pretty warm. "somebody said im a fuckin slum," bruce sings softly, "don't know where i belong." he grins, putting his arm out the window and the other holding his phone, he opens tiktok and picks an audio, setting it up on the windshield.

"what the shit are you doing?"

"just act like it isnt there." he laughs, starting the music on his phone. to vances surprise, he hadn't heard this before. "what?"

"what is this?" he asks, but then it clicks. "is that a recording of me live?"

"yea! people loved the video i posted! probably because you looked so hot." bruce laughs, and vance just sits there wide eyed. theyre alone. why does he need to compliment him like that? does he like him? anyways, bruce restarts the tiktok after they pull over.

he just watched him do a little dance in his chair, mouthing the words to the song before bruce grabbed the phone and used his other hand to grab vance's chin.

oh that did something to the blond. he didn't know what specifically, but it did something.

a kiss is pressed to vance's lips, and he didn't expect it because they only usually kiss when they're in public. or with friends. or with family. whatever, either way, it's a shock.

the tiktok ends and bruce just says, "okay! lets go!" and vance doesn't really know what to do with that. he's still processing it as he revs the engine and starts down the road again, going into the forest and the humid air makes the blond breathe in deeper then before.

they pull over once again, but now there's waves crashing and bruce looks over confused. it's a clearing in the trees, and there's a nice view of mountains. but it's a drop, and bruce can tell. yet again, bruce is even more confused when he hears seagulls. "we live in denver, where the fuck did you find a ocean?"

"you're so dumb. it's a lake. it's just windy."
"well i don't know!"
"clearly." vance scoffs, turning off the car and hopping out, walking toward the fence that lines the ledge of the cliff.

bruce carries his phone over, looking straight down and he regretted it horribly when he saw what a long drop it was. "i didn't even realize we were going uphill for so long!"

"we never did," vance replies, "it's a drop from our normal height i guess." and he just continues to stare off. "i don't get how it works, but it's fucking sick."

god did he look beautiful. the way the light from the sun reflected off his face made his ears turn red. oh god, bruce has never seen a view more

"beautiful."
"i know right?"
"what?"
"you said beautiful?"

shit did he really say that out loud? what type of bullshit movie is this? where's the cameras?

"i meant the view! the view!" the view being vance motherfuckin hopper.

"i thought so." he says, taking a breath of the humid air.

'wow bruce way to go on killing that conversation,' he thinks, coughing slightly as to break the silence. "i like this spot!"

"yeah, me too." vance replies shallowly, and bruce notices this change in tone.

"did i do something wrong?" he asks, tilting his head at the taller boy, and vance just shakes his head.

"just thinking."
"about?"
"nothing important." he lied. it was important, because bruce wasn't the only one feeling those butterflies, and vance finally caught on to what the sick feeling was.