Chapter 3

Saturday, 12:11 PM

Jesper's eyes took in the scenery as the car raced past the suburban streets that slowly changed into fields and trees.
In the driver's seat, Colm was talking about how him and Jesper's mother would often spend weekend's at bed and breakfasts out in the middle of nowhere. Something like that, at least. But Jesper was preoccupied -somehow more than usual- so if was more like background noise.
His mind's eye was filled with images of coffee brown eyes, crease-free high-collared shirts, Kaz Brekker. He mentally ran through the last conversation he'd had with the other boy, the previous afternoon walking home from school. Kaz had been talking about Karate training, saying Jesper should join him. However appealing being beaten up by your best friend over and over (at least that's what Jesper imagined it would be like) may be, Jesper had suggested it would be a more practical option for Kaz to join him at the paint ball range from time to time. Kaz had declined, and the matter had been settled.
His brain ran through a series of dreams about Kaz, interactions with Kaz, and times he'd made a fool of himself around Kaz. But his thoughts were interrupted by his phone buzzing insistently in his pocket. Jesper pulled it out and started at the screen. It was the universe's idea of a practical joke--a text from Kaz.

Kaz Brekker

12:13 PM
What the f-ck is going on, man?

Jesper almost laughed. Kaz had a thing about swearing -- he didn't do it. Inej always said it was because he lived in the countryside as a kid, and they're more old fashioned in the countryside. Of course, Jesper also lived in the countryside, and he happily swore like a sailor.
Jesper quickly sobered up, it struck him how strange Kaz's message was.

The existential question.
Now . read

"And that's why we stopped going there, can you imagine?" Colm said, chuckling wistfully.
"That's crazy, Dad."
"Your mother couldn't get the nettles out of her dress for weeks."
Damn, Jesper thought, missed one hell of a story by the sound of it. He slightly regretted not paying more attention. But his phone buzzed and the curiosity got the better of him.

I mean you and Inej.

The past term had been kind of hectic. Maybe it had got the better of Kaz and he'd lost his mind. In the last week alone, everyone has been gossiping about the Miss Cupid Advice Column and speculating about the columnist's hidden identity. Of course, by Thursday, Jesper, Inej and Kaz had come to the solid conclusion it was Nina, though she continued to deny any relation to Miss Cupid.
Then a thought occured to Jesper. Did Kaz realise he and Inej were keeping certain secrets? What if he realised... Oh no. Damage control time.

What about me and Inej?

It was always important to ascertain how much a person actually knew before making a mess even bigger.

Come on Jes, I'm your best friend. You can tell me things.

Damage control was about making snap decisions, wait no, that wasn't right. Snap decisions lead to mistakes. But Jesper Fahey wasn't known for his good decision making.

You're right.

In hindsight, Jesper could justify it. Kaz was going to find out anyway, probably already knew. And after all, Kaz did say he could tell him anything. He mentally congratulated himself for being mature about it. That was until....

Congratulations. I'm happy for you.

Was it some kind of sarcasm? It was so hard to tell tone over text. Why would Kaz be congratulating him for stupid unrequited feelings.

what are you talking about
Now . Read

But minutes passed, countryside changed to more different countryside, Colm talked about some new BBC series, and Kaz never replied. Maybe it was something about the Miss Cupid Advice Column, but had all the Ketterdemfield High Gossip got a lot more interesting recently? Maybe Nina was somehow manipulating everyone to be all sappy and ridiculous with her sappy and ridiculous advice column. Why write about your problems to another year eleven, when you can just scream internally? But after a day spent fishing, shopping in a small town, and hiking, all while thinking about Kaz, Jesper's logical brain was all but gone. He just wanted some advice.

Dear Miss Cupid,
I didn't want to write this letter but I am. Don't worry, I'm not being held captive. I am generally very good in the romance department (not to brag), but now I need some solid advice, from a person who totally isn't Nina using a pseudonym. I think I have feelings for one of my best friends, and I don't know what the hell to do about it. I don't want to do anything, but he's so great and he makes me feel the feelings and it just sucks that he doesn't like me back, and worst of all, I think I might have ruined our friendship by telling him. You don't publish all these letters right? If you don't mind can you just email your response to me at nerfgunsandstuff@gmail.com ? Don't mind the email address, it's old okay.
Yours sincerely,
-Nerfgunsandstuff

Jesper was surprised when barely an hour later, an email with the subject line MISS CUPID'S FOOLPROOF ADVICE popped up in his inbox.