be in my heart

It only is a mere few moments after the alpha has departed that Louis begins to realize the extent of damage he has caused. Harry has practically admitted to Louis that he was in love with him, and Louis had accused the alpha of trying to poison him.

It is not lost on him that he he definitely has made a complete and utter mess of everything. And that was definitely an understatement of the century. The true irony is that the only person he wants to confide in about the mess that he's dug himself into, is the very one who he has so cruelly pushed away.

"It is sure to be alright, Prince Louis" Liam says earnestly as Zayn strokes Louis' hair soothingly as they sit in the parlor room. The herald had announced a day of rest and recuperation before the rescheduled dinner and the ball tonight and Louis had immediately rung for Zayn, who had brought Liam in tow. He wishes Niall could be in attendance but his father had advised him against publicly playing favorites before he makes his final decision.

A platter of sweet treats and tea sat in front of them, untouched as Louis went over every idiotic interaction he had with Harry over the weekend. Normally he would be the first to gobble down the sugar in an attempt to soothe his nerves but ever since the poisoning attempt he has discovered that keeping down any food has proven to be a strenuous challenge. He knows that Zayn and Liam will not eat unless he does first and even the thought of something so trivial is causing his head to throb.

The pair of Dukes seem to be having a silent and intimate conversation with their eyes which also is doing little to quell Louis' nausea. How dreadful that the very thing he had pushed out of his life is manifesting right before his eyes. They are not even being out-rightly affectionate and Louis still wants to heave himself off his chaise and onto the cold, hard ground.

"Prince Harry is most forgiving and understanding. I am certain all you have to do is broach a discussion with him and he will see reason." Liam continues his reassurance as he tentatively helps himself to a bright yellow lemon square dusted in a thick layer of powdered sugar. At Zayn's pointed glare, he merely gives a shrug before popping the morsel of deliciousness into his mouth.

"You did not hear us squabble," Louis groans as he thinks of the cruel words he spat at his future Mate. "I was unnecessarily spiteful in the heat of the moment."

"I am certain Prince Harry knows how biting you can be," Zayn says amusedly, dodging a punishing pinch from Louis' nimble fingers. "I believe his feelings are probably just hurt. You are the love of his life, after all."

"You and Prince Harry have known each other your whole lives," Liam says in agreement, once he is done chewing. "If he truly detested you, he has had his whole life to do so and to make the decision to never come near you again. I think the fact that he is still smitten with you speaks volumes."

"Or, he could realize that I am simply a nuisance to put up with and he is much better off with an agreeable omega who caters to his every whim," Louis whines, burying his head into Zayn's stomach. The alpha continues to stroke his hair as Liam watches on sympathetically.

"We can offer you as much comfort as you desire, my Prince," Zayn coos. "But you know as well as I, this will only be sorted once you talk to Prince Harry yourself. He will see reason."

And Louis knows. He knows. But the very thought of facing the alpha after he had all but banished him from his life, is particularly daunting. He supposes the blow up has been inevitable. He and Harry have been competing almost all of their lives, if only he had realized what the actual prize was. They had pulled and prodded, wisps of attention from the other, collected them like secret keepsakes stowed far away in their consciousness. They had been none the wiser to the begrudging affections and evidently the fall out had been bound to happen.